August 2, 2010 in Nation/World

Gates says withdrawal will begin slowly

Afghan pullout depends on ground conditions
James Oliphant Tribune Washington bureau
 
Associated Press photo

Defense Secretary Robert Gates is interviewed for “This Week” in this photo released by ABC.
(Full-size photo)

WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Robert Gates suggested Sunday that only a small portion of the U.S. force in Afghanistan will begin to return home next year, when an Obama administration deadline for a troop pullout goes into effect.

“Drawdowns early on will be of fairly limited numbers,” Gates said in an interview on ABC News’ “This Week.” “It will depend on the conditions on the ground.”

In calling for a surge of troops in the region, President Barack Obama set July 2011 as the time when the Pentagon would begin to reduce forces, ostensibly with Afghanistan more secure from the threat of the Taliban.

The U.S. will have more than 100,000 troops in Afghanistan by the end of this summer. Gates said Sunday that the rate of the withdrawal will depend on the security conditions in the country. He said he expected the pace to increase as conditions improve.

“I think we need to re-emphasize the message that we are not leaving Afghanistan in July of 2011. We are beginning a transition process,” Gates said.

Gates’ view was seemingly at odds with that of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who watched last week as more than 100 Democrats in the House voted against a war-funding measure over frustration with a lack of progress in the nine-year conflict. Asked on “This Week” whether the drawdown of forces would be limited to a few thousand troops, Pelosi said: “Well, I hope it is more than that. I know it’s not going to be ‘turn out the lights and let’s all go home on one day.’ But I do think the American people expect it to be somewhere between that and a few thousand troops.”

And speaking on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said he could envision a scenario in which more troops were needed in the country.

Gates also maintained that last week’s leak of a trove of sensitive documents to the public had substantially harmed the war effort, but he disagreed with some of the most controversial assertions made in the released materials.

He called the release of 76,000 classified documents by the website WikiLeaks morally wrong. “There’s … a moral culpability,” Gates said, “and that’s where I think WikiLeaks is guilty.”

Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the U.S. was working to shield Afghans identified in the WikiLeaks documents from Taliban retribution.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email