Local news

Motel fire death deemed accidental

A fire that killed a 49-year-old woman at the Bel-Air 7 Motel in Spokane on Tuesday morning was caused by smoking in bed, officials said today.

Spokane fire officials said the 9 a.m. fire at 1303 E. Sprague Ave. is being ruled as accidental.

The identity of the woman was withheld today pending notification of family members. She was pronounced dead at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center a short time after firefighters pulled her from her smoke-filled room on the first floor of the two-story motel.

Click here to comment on this story »



Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile