Local news

Abandoned home catches fire again

An abandoned home at 2217 E. Sprague Ave. caught fire Saturday for the second time this year.

Firefighters believe homeless people have been using the house, even though fire personnel boarded the windows after the previous fire in April, the Spokane Fire Department said in a news release.

Firefighters found one person outside the house at 1:21 a.m. who was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and then transported to Valley Hospital and Medical Center. One firefighter sustained a dog bite and was treated and released.

The main fire was in the basement, according to the news release, and is still under investigation. The home sustained severe damage in the basement and first floor and smoke damage throughout, estimated at $80,000.



Click here to comment on this story »



Saving for the future

sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.



Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile