Montfort School south of Deer Park marks centennial
The Montfort School Community Center on Saturday will celebrate more than 100 years of history.
The community center south of Deer Park is hosting Skool Daze from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the old schoolhouse, 1915 W. Monroe Road, about a half-mile west of U.S. Highway 395.
Former students are invited to join the celebration and see what’s become of the schoolhouse now that it’s getting new care from the community group.
Old-time games like the three-legged race, horseshoes and bingo are planned. Lunch will be served as if it were a school picnic. Live music is scheduled.
The school is named after Harriet Carilla Monfort, who established a one-room schoolhouse near Half Moon Prairie in 1887. The school moved to its present location years later and underwent an addition in 1910, according to news files. The Montfort School ended up with a slightly different spelling from Monfort.
The school closed in 1947 when it consolidated with Mead School District. Spokane County took ownership and held the building for community use. Eventually, the Wayside Community Center board gained ownership, and the community center in recent years took the historic Montfort name instead.
For more information, contact Vonnie Hale at (509) 466-5893.