‘Warming fire’ gets out of control

As temperatures dropped last night, one man without a home tried to warm himself with a fire that got out of control.

Andrew M. Wanczak, 36, lit the fire that caused an estimated $20,000 worth of damage in Coeur d’Alene, burning three vehicles of hotel guests and and hotel property of the Coeur d’Alene Inn, according to the Coeur d’Alene Police Department.

A police officer on patrol noticed flames coming from the parking lot of Dragon House, a Chinese restaurant at 512 E. Appleway Ave around 4:30 a.m. When the officer found Wanczak, he admitted he started the fire because he was cold. The fire damaged landscaping and fencing, and wiring, police said.

Officers arrested Wanczak and booked him into Kootenai County Jail with a charge of first degree arson.


There is one comment on this story »



Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile