Nation/World


In brief: Ivory Coast winner announces march

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast – The internationally recognized winner of Ivory Coast’s presidential election said he and his supporters will march on state institutions in a bid to take control, and the European Union agreed on sanctions against the incumbent.

Incumbent leader Laurent Gbagbo claimed victory in November’s balloting and has rebuffed calls from the U.S., the EU, former colonial ruler France and the African Union to step down. The United Nations recognized opposition leader Alassane Ouattara as the winner. Both took oaths of office and set up separate governments last week in the vote’s chaotic aftermath.

After setting up his administration in an Abidjan hotel, Ouattara on Monday raised the stakes by saying he and his supporters will march on government buildings and state television on Thursday in a high-risk bid to deprive Gbagbo of the trappings of his presidency.

Crowd marches for slain drug lord

MORELIA, Mexico – Some Mexicans demonstrated in the streets Monday for a third straight day to show support for a slain drug lord who reputedly gave money and preached religion to the poor.

More than 100 people marched through the Michoacan state capital, Morelia, holding signs lauding Nazario Moreno, the chief of La Familia cartel who the government says was killed during two days of battles with federal police last week.

State Public Safety Secretary Manuel Ruiz insisted the majority of citizens were against the marches.

In the capital, a legislative disciplinary commission voted unanimously Monday to rescind the immunity from prosecution of a fellow congressman accused of links to La Familia.

Congressman Cesar Godoy Toscano has denied the accusations, but tapes have surfaced in which he allegedly chats with a man identified as a leader of the cartel.

Search ends for missing fishermen

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – Seventeen fishermen missing for more than 30 hours after their South Korean boat sank near Antarctica were given up for dead Tuesday, with officials saying no one could have survived the icy waters.

New Zealand’s rescue coordination center, which was running a search by private vessels in the remote region, said it had suspended the operation indefinitely.

The No. 1 Insung went down Monday some 1,400 miles south of New Zealand, about halfway to Antarctica. It sank quickly – prompting speculation it struck an iceberg – and the crew of 42 had to abandon ship without donning survival gear.


 

Click here to comment on this story »






Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile