December 24, 2010 in City

Forecast for Christmas is dry

From Staff Reports
 

The weather should stabilize enough for free sailing for both holiday travelers and a certain portly elf who reportedly drives a flying sleigh.

The National Weather Service said Spokane and Coeur d’Alene residents can expect dry conditions today and Christmas day, meteorologist Jeremy Wolf said.

“Overall we have a pretty quiet weather pattern over the weekend. The next chance for any precipitation isn’t until Sunday. We are looking for rain and snow likely in the Spokane area,” Wolf said. “But we do have highs in the mid- to upper 30s so we are not expecting any accumulation.”

But any families waiting until after Sunday to travel could find some adverse conditions as a system moves in from the northwest that should bring colder temperatures and several rounds of snow, he said.

Monday should bring a 40 percent chance of snow, and that percentage will increase to 60 percent by Monday night. There’s a 60 percent chance of snow on Tuesday and 70 percent on Wednesday, Wolf said.

“We are looking at much better potential for snow accumulations,” he said.

Wolf said it was too early to predict whether the system will dump the kind of snow that hit the region in late November.

“The pattern looks pretty active, so we could see several bouts with snow accumulation that could add up. We could see significant accumulations,” he said.

“But how much snow is hard to say.”

Wolf said holiday commuters should be careful with water on the roadways because the low temperatures should drop enough to form ice on the highways.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email