February 18, 2010 in Idaho
Kathy Plonka photo

Coeur d’Alene artist Teresa McHugh has been commissioned to create an 18-foot-high metal sculpture of a tree with bronze ribbons spelling “CdA” to be placed at Sherman Avenue and 22nd Street at the end of May.

Liz Kishimoto photo

Artist David Govedare, photographed in 2002, welds the base of one of the giant feathers now installed along Northwest Boulevard in Coeur d’Alene.

Jesse Tinsley photo

Several pieces of art, such as this metal fountain, are installed inside and outside the Coeur d’Alene Library.

Kathy Plonka photo

Coeur d’Alene Parks Director Doug Eastwood stands at the Fallen Heroes Plaza at Cherry Hill Park in Coeur d’Alene on Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2009.

Kathy Plonka photo

An eagle sculpture sits atop the Coeur d’Alene Police Department, created in part by the city’s policy of dedicating a small percentage of public building monies to art.

Jesse Tinsley photo

Author Susan Nipp stands in the Plaza Shoppes in Coeur d’Alene on Aug. 20, 2008, with a statue of Mudgy and Millie, the characters of a children’s book Nipp centered around Tubbs Hill and downtown Coeur d’Alene.

Colin Mulvany photo

Annie Pierce of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Spokane attends a wreath-laying ceremony at the city’s Lincoln Statue at Main and Monroe marking the 200th anniversary of the president’s birth, Feb. 12, 1809. The statue was unveiled in 1930.

Dan Pelle photo

Gabriel DaSilva stretches a Bloomsday shirt over one of the 44 statues that make up “The Joy of Running Together” in Spokane’s Riverfront Park, an annual tradition before the race. The piece was built by metal artist David Govedare and installed in the mid-1980s

Colin Mulvany photo

A statue of Chief Garry, sitting in a Spokane park also named for the Indian leader since 1979, was removed in 2008 after damage from vandals and weather that civic leaders say they couldn’t afford to repair.

J. Bart Rayniak photo

A crowd spills past the bronze statue of Commander Michael. P. Anderson outside the INB Performing Arts Center in Spokane on Monday, Jan. 18, 2010. Anderson, an astronaut, was killed in the 2003 Columbia disaster. Dorothy Fowler’s statue was unveiled in 2005.

Brian Plonka photo

The Rotary Fountain in Spokane’s Riverfront Park was sculpted by Harold Balazs and dedicated Sept. 1, 2005. Its 150 jets spray water 35 feet high during the warmer months.

Brian Plonka photo

A statue of Mike Cmos Jr. and his daughter Jennifer Cmos, at right, sits at the Riverside Park Reclamation Facility. The statue, dedicated in September 2006, commemorates the death of Cmos, a city employee at the plant in 2004.

Jed Conklin photo

The 1906 statue of Ensign John Robert Monaghan stands at the corner of Monroe Street and Riverside Avenue, commemorating the death of the Spokane man while serving in the Samoa Islands in 1899. A plaque describing his death has drawn protest for depicting Samoans as savages.

Christopher Anderson photo

A rock and water feature greets traffic heading to Spokane International Airport.

John Craig photo

A 8 1/2-foot bronze sculpture of a mountain man titled “Working the Line” sits at the intersection of Mirabeau Parkway and Mansfield Avenue in Spokane Valley. Colville artist Jerry McKellar crafted the statue, which was dedicated in 2009.

Christopher Anderson photo

One of the newer pieces of public art in Spokane, a bronze statue celebrating Boy Scouts, sits at the north end of the Monroe Street Bridge. It was placed in September 2009.