Poisoned meatballs may have killed three dogs in the Moran Prairie neighborhood on Spokane’s South Hill today, and more suspicious meatballs were found in two other locations.
“All pet owners should closely inspect their yard and surrounding property when they arrive home tonight,” said Nancy Hill, director of the Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service.
A woman told animal protection officers that she let her dogs out about 6 a.m. today on her property near Regal Street and the Palouse Highway and saw one eating something. She called the dog away, but about a half an hour later, the dog started having convulsions and died at a pet emergency clinic, according to SCRAPS.
Another woman living near 55th Avenue and Freya Street reported two dogs dead today, too, SCRAPS said. An animal protection officer then found a suspicious meatball soaked in an unknown substance on the side of the road near a fenced yard in the 3300 block of East 55th Street, and another in the same vicinity but inside a fenced yard.
The Humane Society of the United States is offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of persons responsible for the suspected poisonings.
Anyone with information is urged to call SCRAPS emergency number, (509) 477-2533.