WSU vets: Meatballs that killed dogs contained strychnine
Washington State University veterinarians say a meatball found on a Spokane woman’s property contained the poison strychnine. The woman’s dog died last week after eating another meatball.
Two other dogs have died after eating meatballs found in the city’s South Hill area.
One attack took place in the 3300 block of East 55th Avenue, killing two dogs owned by 21-year-old David Cheney and his family. Another dog living near Regal Street and the Palouse Highway died Friday. Then on Monday, a homeowner near 36th Avenue and Grand Boulevard found a suspicious meatball similar to those found Friday.
Meanwhile, dog owners are urged to inspect their yards and keep their pets indoors, and the Humane Society of the United States is offering a $2,500 reward to catch the person responsible for poisoning dogs in Spokane.
© Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.