February 27, 2010 in News

Fire damages WSU apartment complex

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Map of this story's location

A fire this morning at a Washington State University apartment complex caused about $500,000 in damage and left more than a dozen students homeless.

Pullman firefighters responded to the 12-unit Chief Joseph Village complex at 2025 NE Terre View about 4:46 a.m. First arriving crews found flames coming from one of the units.

All student residents escaped without injury, officials said.

The fire appears to have started in the kitchen stove area in one of the units, Pullman Fire Investigator Rich Dragoo said.

The complex alarm system was not activated until six minutes after the first call was made to 911 by cell phone, officials said. A resident pulled the fire alarm to activate the system.

Two apartment units were totally destroyed, and others had smoke and water damage, officials said.

The WSU housing office was making arrangements for students to be housed in other university facilities. The American Red Cross was also assisting students left with housing, official said.


There is one comment on this story. Click here to view comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email