January 10, 2010 in City

Region in brief: Residents displaced by pair of house fires


Spokane firefighters were busy Saturday with two structure fires in north Spokane.

The first fire was reported about 11:10 a.m. at 2311 N. Stevens St. A space heater, which had been placed in a crawl space under bathroom plumbing to prevent pipes from freezing, caught the home’s floor on fire, causing damage to the first floor and basement of the home, according to officials from the Spokane Fire Department.

The American Red Cross assisted two displaced residents in that fire.

The second fire was reported three hours later at 1712 W. Nora Ave. The fire, the cause of which was not known, started on the first floor and burned into the basement, fire officials said.

The Red Cross was assisting at least five displaced residents in that home.

No one was injured in either fire, officials said.

Sara Leaming

Man struck by car dies from injuries

A 60-year-old man hit by a car on North Division Street on Friday night has died, the Spokane Police Department said Saturday.

The man, who was not identified, was attempting to cross busy U.S. Highway 395 near Westview Avenue, one block north of Holland Avenue, about 7 p.m. when he was struck by a southbound vehicle.

The victim was taken to a hospital, where he died early Saturday, shortly after midnight, police said.

No charges have been filed against the driver in the crash, which was under investigation, officials said.

Sara Leaming

Officer shot, wounded in apparent drive-by

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – An Anchorage police officer was shot several times as he sat in his parked patrol car early Saturday in an apparent drive-by shooting, a police spokesman said.

The officer was in a residential area near downtown after taking a report about an assault that had occurred elsewhere in the city. Someone drove up to the side of the cruiser about 2 a.m. and opened fire, police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker said.

A dark-colored early 1990s sedan was seen leaving the scene, police said. The officer, who wasn’t immediately identified, was taken to an Anchorage hospital.

“He has survived his wounds,” Parker said. “He has come out of surgery and we’re very hopeful he will make a full recovery.”

Police released few details, but Parker said no motive had been determined and no arrest made. He said the shooting was unrelated to the reported assault.

Associated Press

Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email