Arson in apartment among fire department’s calls
The Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to 201 calls from Jan. 14 to 20, including five reports of minor fires.
One was an arson fire at the Whimsical Pig Apartments, 13303 E. Mission Ave. Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford said the fire, reported Jan. 14, was in a vacant apartment where someone had put combustibles in the oven and on top of the stove before turning on the power to the appliance. A neighbor heard what he thought was a radio and went to the apartment to complain. It turned out the noise was the smoke detector.
“It ended up being a fire,” Clifford said.
He said the fire is still under investigation, and anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the fire department at (509) 928-1700.
Crews also responded to 11 building alarms, most of those were set off accidently or by someone overcooking food.
There were 164 medical emergencies, three hazardous materials calls and 15 motor vehicle collisions – six people were transported to hospitals with minor injuries due to these accidents.
The department also responded to one service call to unlock a car that was running with a child locked inside. Clifford said the crews were able to open the door, and the child was unharmed.