July 21, 2010 in City

Man found dead in burning apartment identified

 
Map of this story's location

A 69-year-old man died in a fire inside his Spokane Valley apartment early today.

Arthur L. Farmer was in bed when flames engulfed a recliner about 5 feet away, according to the Spokane Valley Fire Department. The Spokane County Medical Examiner’s Office released Farmer’s name this afternoon.

Investigators say Farmer likely died of smoke inhalation, said Bill Clifford, fire department spokesman.

Fire officials believe the fire at 10516 E. Main Ave. started from a cigarette left on the recliner, but investigators also will consider whether an air purifier may have malfunctioned, Clifford said.

Officials said Farmer used an oxygen tank.

A bicyclist reported the fire to 911 at 3:11 a.m.

Before the fire department arrived, neighbors “tried going in and getting the guy out but were unsuccessful,” Clifford said.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus