Arrow-right Camera
News >  Spokane

Man found dead in burning apartment identified

A 69-year-old man died in a fire inside his Spokane Valley apartment early today.

Arthur L. Farmer was in bed when flames engulfed a recliner about 5 feet away, according to the Spokane Valley Fire Department. The Spokane County Medical Examiner’s Office released Farmer’s name this afternoon.

Investigators say Farmer likely died of smoke inhalation, said Bill Clifford, fire department spokesman.

Fire officials believe the fire at 10516 E. Main Ave. started from a cigarette left on the recliner, but investigators also will consider whether an air purifier may have malfunctioned, Clifford said.

Officials said Farmer used an oxygen tank.

A bicyclist reported the fire to 911 at 3:11 a.m.

Before the fire department arrived, neighbors “tried going in and getting the guy out but were unsuccessful,” Clifford said.



Top stories in Spokane

At last battle of Deep Creek re-enactment, Union and Confederacy return to Gettysburg

UPDATED: 8:55 p.m.

updated  With the thunderous crack of a cannon and the sulfurous pop of a musket, the Battle of Gettysburg was on. The Union soldiers, clad in various shades of blue, moved slowly up the hill to the tune of artillery fire drowning out a lonely trio of musicians playing the songs of war. Beneath them and occupying a small meadow, Confederate infantry men and women fired in unison to their superior’s command, each snap bringing a flurry of gun powder dancing in the air.