July 28, 2010 in Region

Honeymoon-bound couple help save two from fire

 

WALLA WALLA – Katie and Ben Scheele were wrapping up after their wedding weekend, collecting signs Monday that alerted guests to their wedding’s location, when they noticed flames coming from a home.

Their actions helped get a woman and child to safety.

The Scheeles, who were married Saturday, called 911, and then with the help of another passer-by, helped the pair out of the window of one of two burning duplex units. The woman and child were not aware of the fire burning in their attic until the Scheeles stepped in, according to a Walla Walla Fire Department report.

Investigators believe the fire started about 11:44 a.m. by a discarded cigarette thrown into shrubbery outside the home.The woman and child made it out safely and were not injured. The occupant of the adjoining unit was already outdoors as the first fire crews arrived.

The Scheeles are preparing for their honeymoon in Bora Bora, which starts with a trip to Pasco early today.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email