July 30, 2010 in Nation/World

Missing sailor found dead

Officials don’t know why men were far from base
Deb Riechmann Associated Press
 

KABUL, Afghanistan – The discovery of the body of a second U.S. sailor who vanished in Afghanistan last week only deepened the mystery of the men’s disappearance nearly 60 miles from their base in a dangerous area controlled by the Taliban.

An investigation is under way, but with both sailors dead, U.S. authorities remained at a loss Thursday to explain what two junior enlisted men in noncombat jobs were doing driving alone in Logar province, where much of the countryside is not under government control.

“This is like a puzzle,” said Abdul Wali, deputy head of the governing council in Logar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Jarod Newlove, 25, from Renton, Wash., and Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin McNeley – father of two boys ages 5 and 9 – from Kingman, Ariz., disappeared in the province July 23. McNeley’s body was recovered there Sunday and Newlove’s body was pulled from a river Wednesday evening, Afghan officials said.

The U.S. Navy confirmed Newlove’s death on Thursday.

At the Newloves’ house in west Seattle, where children’s chalk drawings adorned the sidewalk, a big sign on the door said: “The family has no comment. Please respect our privacy.”

Newlove’s father, Joseph Newlove, broke the silence briefly to tell a TV station that his son’s duties were limited to Kabul, and to wonder why he would have been so far off base.

“He had never been out of that town,” the elder Newlove told KOMO-TV in Seattle. “So why would he go out of that town? He wouldn’t have.”

Officials at the NATO-led coalition headquarters in Kabul have not offered an explanation as to why the two service members were driving a heavily armored vehicle so far from their base at Camp Julien, a training facility on the western edge of the city.

A NATO official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the case was being investigated, said it was unclear what the two were doing, what prompted them to leave their compound or whether they were on official business.

Samer Gul, chief of Logar’s Charkh district, said the two sailors, in a four-wheel-drive armored SUV, were seen July 23 by a guard working for the district chief’s office.

“They stopped in the main bazaar of Charkh district. The Taliban saw them in the bazaar,” Gul said. “They didn’t touch them in the bazaar but notified other Taliban that a four-wheel vehicle was coming their way.”

The second group of Taliban tried to stop the vehicle, but when it didn’t, insurgents opened fire and the occupants in the vehicle shot back, he said. The NATO official confirmed that the vehicle had been shot up.

Gul said there is a well-paved road that leads into the Taliban area and suggested the Americans may have mistaken that for the main highway – which is much older and more dilapidated.

Wali, the deputy head of the governing council in Logar, insisted the Taliban did not plan the incident.

“The Taliban were just joking around with each other and they suddenly saw a big armored vehicle coming toward them,” he said. “They thought it might be a trick – that if it got too close, there might be an airstrike against them – so they opened fire.”

Din Mohammed Darwesh, spokesman for the provincial governor of Logar, said the governor’s office was upset because the two Americans left their base without notifying Afghan security forces in Logar, which is the normal protocol.

He called their presence in Logar an “abnormal situation.”

The international force quickly launched a massive search for the sailors, setting up checkpoints and distributing hundreds of fliers, with reprinted photos of the two missing sailors. The fliers offered a $20,000 reward for information about their whereabouts.

The Taliban did not claim responsibility for the missing sailors for more than 48 hours after the ambush. A message posted on their website late Sunday claimed one American service member had been kidnapped in Logar and another was killed in a shootout.

On Thursday, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told the Associated Press that the Taliban, on Tuesday, left the “body of a dead American soldier for the U.S. forces” to recover.

Darwesh, the provincial spokesman, said Newlove was shot once in the head and twice in the torso.

Mohammad Rahim Amin, local government chief in Baraki Barak, said villagers in the district called to report the body of a foreigner, clad in a uniform, in the river. He said coalition forces recovered it about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Amin said that in recent days, security had tightened around the Taliban, who were under pressure from Afghan forces, intelligence officials and coalition troops converging on the area in a massive search for the missing service member.

“It makes sense that the Taliban had nowhere to go, so they killed him,” Amin said, referring to Newlove.


There are two comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email