Arrow-right Camera

Nation/World

Mexican warrant out for TV producer

Tue., June 1, 2010

CANCUN, Mexico – A judge in Mexico issued an arrest warrant Monday for a former “Survivor” producer suspected in the killing of his wife while on vacation with their children at a Cancun resort, the state attorney general said.

Francisco Alor, the state attorney general in Quintana Roo state, said prosecutors would initiate extradition proceedings soon seeking to return TV producer Bruce Beresford-Redman from the United States.

Prosecutors will seek “international collaboration” in the return of Beresford-Redman once they have officially confirmed his whereabouts, Alor said.

Beresford-Redman has denied any involvement in the death last month of Monica Beresford-Redman.

Police detained the husband briefly and then released him after confiscating his passport and telling him not to leave Mexico. But Beresford-Redman returned to Southern California and stated in court documents there that he had been living with his two children for more than a week.

His attorney, Richard Hirsch, said in a statement before the warrant was confirmed that issuing an arrest warrant was “extremely disturbing since it appears that this case is being handled in a manner outside the normal procedures in Mexico.”

Hirsch said his client is innocent and prepared to defend himself in court.

Monica Beresford-Redman’s body was found April 8 in a sewer at the Moon Palace Hotel in Cancun.


 

There is one comment on this story »