Local news

Welding sparks blamed in fire

Sparks flying from a welding torch may be to blame for a blaze that destroyed a Spokane Valley man’s garage and heavily damaged his home Tuesday.

Spokane Valley Fire Department crews were called to the residence at 2024 S. University Road about 6 p.m. for the report of a structure fire. When firefighters arrived, the garage was engulfed in flames, said Bill Clifford, public information officer.

The blaze spread quickly across a breezeway connecting the garage to the home, Clifford said. The garage was a total loss, and the home was heavily damaged by fire.

The lone resident of the home had been welding in his garage, when sparks possibly ignited the blaze, Clifford said. The investigation is not yet complete.

The man was being assisted by the American Red Cross.



Click here to comment on this story »






Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile