Nation/World

Burial errors bring shake-up

Leaders at Arlington ousted over mismarked sites

WASHINGTON – An Army investigation has found that potentially hundreds of remains at Arlington National Cemetery have been misidentified or misplaced, in a scandal marring the reputation of the nation’s pre-eminent burial ground for its honored dead since the Civil War.

Army Secretary John McHugh announced Thursday that the cemetery’s two civilian leaders would be forced to step aside, and he appointed a new chief to conduct a more thorough investigation.

“I deeply apologize to the families of the honored fallen resting in that hallowed ground who may now question the care afforded to their loved ones,” McHugh told a Pentagon news conference.

Arlington National Cemetery is considered among the nation’s most hallowed burial sites, with more than 300,000 people buried there with military honors. An average of 30 funerals are conducted there every day.

Among those buried at the cemetery are troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well service members from past conflicts dating back to the Civil War.

Famous presidents and their spouses, including members of the Kennedy family, also have been buried there. The cemetery is located across the Potomac River from Washington in northern Virginia.

An Army investigation was launched last year after reports of employee misconduct, first reported by Salon.com.

Led by the service’s inspector general, Lt. Gen. Steven Whitcomb, the investigation found lax management of the cemetery, where employees relied on paper records to manage the dozens of burials each week and maintain the thousands of existing grave sites.

Whitcomb said at least 211 remains were identified as potentially mislabeled or misplaced and that there could be more.

“We found nothing that was intentional, criminal intent or intended sloppiness that caused this. … But of all the things in the world, we see this as a zero defect operation,” he told reporters Thursday.

Whitcomb could not say how old the mixed-up remains might be or from what conflict, saying only that the problem had been confined to three areas of the cemetery known as sections 59, 65 and 66.

Whitcomb said he did find two cases of mismarked graves in section 60, the area for veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan. He said those mistakes had been corrected.

Separately, the Army is investigating whether the cemetery’s deputy superintendent, Thurman Higginbotham, made false statements to service investigators. Higginbotham, who ran the day-to-day operations at the cemetery, has been accused by former employees of creating a hostile work environment and breaking into their e-mail systems.

Higginbotham is on administrative leave, pending further review.

Higgenbotham’s boss, John Metzler, is set to retire on July 2. Service officials say he is being pushed out with a letter of reprimand that blames him for failing to rein in Higginbotham’s mistakes.

Taking their place will be Kathryn Condon, a former civilian head of Army Materiel Command who as executive director will in charge of fixing any burial errors. Patrick Hallinan, a director with the Veterans Affairs Department, is temporarily being assigned as the cemetery’s superintendent.

Family members with questions are urged to call the cemetery at (703) 607-8000.



There are two comments on this story »





Blogs

AM Scanner Traffic — 6.28.16

11:04 a.m. Breathing Problem -- Northwest Rehabilitation, 3772 E Jenalan Ave/Post Falls. 10:39 a.m. Outdoor Fire -- 2 slash piles are burning on Kootenai County property in Loch Haven/Hayden area. ...



How the new S-R editor will be chosen

Nobody has asked me, but here are a few answers. No, there will not be a summer convention of the Marmot Lodge, at which delegates will select a new newsroom ...





Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile