June 16, 2010 in City

Man misses court date, wanted in home crash

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Mike Prager photo

Frank Stopar, a worker for Servicemaster, prepares to plug a hole knocked into a north Spokane home when a driver lost control trying to turn the corner.
(Full-size photo)

A man accused of crashing his car into a northwest Spokane home early Tuesday had been scheduled to plead guilty Monday to a charge related to a Cheney shooting, but he didn’t show up.

Now Abran L. Gibson, 19, is wanted on new charges after Washington State Patrol troopers say he crashed a 2006 Hyundai Sonata into the home in a police chase.

Gibson allegedly fled troopers after they tried to stop him for a suspected traffic violation about 2 a.m.

His Sonata was about six blocks ahead of the trooper when it crashed into the front of the home and into the living room as Gibson tried to turn right onto Cedar Street from Joseph Avenue, according to the WSP. He signaled for the turn, troopers said.

A couple and their 2-year-old were inside the home when the car smashed through.

“It was a rude awakening to get,” said the insured homeowner, who asked not to be identified.

A plate-glass window and the front door to the living room were demolished. An interior wall to an adjoining bathroom also was broken out.

Police say Gibson fled the Sonata with three men. One suspect, Makia K. Lund, 19, of Spokane, was arrested and is in jail, but Gibson escaped with two others, including Enrique A. Martinez, 22. WSP identified a third suspect as Treveon Mims, 19, of Spokane.

Gibson was arrested Feb. 21 with 17-year-old Damon Morris and two boys ages 16 and 17 after a shooting in downtown Cheney injured a man in the hand. Morris is the alleged shooter and is in juvenile hall, charged as an adult with several felonies.

Gibson was scheduled to plead guilty Monday to first-degree rendering criminal assistance in a plea deal that would dismiss charges of drive-by shooting, riot and first-degree assault. He was released from jail in April.

Spokane County Deputy Prosecutor Larry Haskell said charges for the other two teenagers in the Cheney incident have been reduced to rendering criminal assistance.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email