June 18, 2010 in City

Boy started fire, officials say

The Spokesman-Review
 

A fire that injured a 5-year-old boy and several family members who attempted to rescue him from a burning northeast Spokane home was started when the boy lit a bed sheet on fire, the Spokane Fire Department said Thursday.

Fire officials determined the June 11 blaze at 1014 E. Princeton Ave. was accidental, caused when the child found a disposable lighter and lit a bed sheet hanging in a doorway in the basement.

Four family members were injured when they went back into the burning home to try and save Jerryth Wade Kilmer-Butler, who was trapped in the basement. Two firefighters were credited with rescuing the child, who had to be revived on the way to the hospital. He was treated for critical injuries and has since been released, fire officials said.

The family members were also treated and released.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus