Local news

Barney’s foods fire blamed on overheated roaster

Firefighters confer outside Barney's, a grocery store in Spokane Valley on Thursday, March 11, 2010. The store's coffee roaster overheated and sent smoke through the store, but the fire was quickly extinguished. (Jesse Tinsley / The Spokesman-Review)
Firefighters confer outside Barney's, a grocery store in Spokane Valley on Thursday, March 11, 2010. The store's coffee roaster overheated and sent smoke through the store, but the fire was quickly extinguished. (Jesse Tinsley / The Spokesman-Review)

A coffee roaster overheated about 10 a.m. this morning, sending smoke throughout Barney’s Harvest Foods on Dishman-Mica Road.

Firefighters from Spokane Valley and Fire District No. 8 responded to make sure that the fire did not get into the structure at 11205 E. Dishman-Mica Road.

The roaster sent smoke from a flue into the store, which was closed to customers pending a food safety check from the Spokane Regional Health Department, said Fire Marshal Kevin Miller.

Miller said the store had a light haze inside.

Three fire engines, a rescue fire truck and other staff responded. About 20 firefighters went to the scene.



Click here to comment on this story »







Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile