Italy murder convict blames Knox and ex-boyfriend
ROME — A man convicted in the 2007 slaying of a British student has written a letter implicating his co-defendants and denying he had ever said they had nothing to do with the murder.
Rudy Hermann Guede sent the letter to Italian TV station Mediaset on Thursday.
In it, Guede spoke of the “horrible assassination” of Meredith Kercher by his two co-defendants, Raffaele Sollecito and Amanda Knox, according to Mediaset.
Knox and Sollecito were convicted last year of murdering Kercher in the Perugia apartment she and Knox shared. Guede was convicted in an earlier fast-track trial. All three deny wrongdoing and are appealing their convictions.
Over the weekend, one of Guede’s prison-mates, Mario Alessi, claimed that Guede had told him that Knox and Sollecito weren’t at the scene the night of the murder and had nothing to do with Kercher’s death.
In his letter, Guede called Alessi a “sick mind” and said he had never confided anything to him.
Guede’s lawyer, Nicodemo Gentile, confirmed the contents of the letter when reached Thursday by The Associated Press. He stressed that Guede, in referring to Knox and Sollecito’s alleged involvement, was merely citing what the Perugia court had determined in convicting them.
© Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.