Arrow-right Camera

Nation/World

In brief: Deal ends lawsuit over failed bridge

Sat., March 20, 2010

MINNEAPOLIS – Contractor URS Corp. and the state of Minnesota reached a $5 million settlement Friday in the state’s lawsuit over the 2007 downtown Minneapolis bridge collapse that killed 13 people and injured 145 others.

URS had a long-standing contract with the Minnesota Department of Transportation to evaluate the structural integrity of the 40-year-old Interstate 35W bridge and recommend ways to shore it up before it fell. URS did not admit any liability or fault for the collapse, nor did the state.

URS and its insurers will pay $5 million under the mediated agreement. In exchange, URS will be released from future state claims connected to the collapse. The company’s statement said the settlement allows it to avoid the cost and time of further litigation.

State will pay part of mom’s defense

ORLANDO, Fla. – A judge ruled Friday that Casey Anthony is indigent and can use public money to help pay for her defense against charges that she killed her 2-year-old daughter.

Circuit Judge Stan Strickland issued the ruling a day after her attorney disclosed that ABC had paid the Florida mother and her relatives $200,000 for exclusive use of family photos and videos.

In Anthony’s case, the judge’s ruling means the state will cover defense costs, but not lawyer’s fees.

Smith estate loses on billionaire’s will

SAN FRANCISCO – The elderly Texas billionaire who married Anna Nicole Smith in the last year of his life never intended to leave the former stripper any portion of his vast fortune, a federal appeals court ruled Friday.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with a Houston jury that said J. Howard Marshall was mentally fit and under no undue pressure when he wrote a will leaving nearly all of his $1.6 billion estate to his son E. Pierce Marshall.

Foreclosure begins on octuplets mom

LA HABRA, Calif. – Octuplets mom Nadya Suleman could be kicked out of her Southern California home.

Mortgage holder Amer Haddadin says he is starting foreclosure proceedings on the $565,000 La Habra residence because the family hasn’t kept up the payments.


 

Click here to comment on this story »





>>