“Wicked,” the Broadway smash about the land of Oz, is the headlining event of the 2010-11 Best of Broadway Series.
And Liza Minnelli is on the way, too.
“Wicked” has been a red-hot Broadway ticket since 2003, yet this will be its first visit to the Inland Northwest. The national tour hits Spokane for a two-week run, May 18-29, 2011.
WestCoast Entertainment announced the lineup Thursday and predicted that “Wicked” will sell out all 40,000 tickets.
And that’s just one show in the four-show subscription series and the nine coming to the INB Performing Arts Center.
• “South Pacific,” Oct. 6-9 – This is the critically acclaimed Lincoln Center revival version of one of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s best-loved shows.
• “Legally Blonde,” Feb. 10-13, 2011 – The popular musical version of the hit movie about a sorority sister who takes on Harvard Law School.
• “9 to 5: The Musical,” March 24-27, 2011 – A new musical based on the hit movie about three women in a man’s corporate world.
• “Wicked,” May 18-29, 2011 – The smash Stephen Schwartz musical about the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good.
The above shows are part of the four-show subscription package. WestCoast Entertainment also is bringing five add-on shows that are not part of the series but can be purchased separately.
The add-on shows are:
• An Evening with Liza Minnelli, Oct. 15 – The legendary entertainer will bring her latest concert extravaganza here.
• Capitol Steps, Oct. 27 – The nation’s top musical-political satirists return for another evening of topical humor.
• “Stomp,” Nov. 5-6 – The return of the percussion-heavy dance show featuring brooms, garbage cans and flying feet.
• “Spring Awakening,” Dec. 1 – The 2007 Tony-winning Broadway smash rock musical, following a group of 19th century German students as they come of age.
• “Cats,” April 23-24, 2011 – The return of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s feline spectacle.
Subscriptions range from $115 to $256. Orders are now being taken for current and new subscribers through www.bestofbroadwayspokane.com or by calling (800) 843-4667.
On-sale dates and prices for individual shows will be announced later this spring.