Insurance policies allow protections from windstorms

Standard insurance policies typically cover wind damage to homes and businesses, but not to vehicles unless the auto policy-holder has optional comprehensive coverage, according to the Northwest Insurance Council.

Typical coverage includes

• Damage to homes from wind and fallen trees.

• Removal of trees that have fallen on buildings.

• Damaged personal property inside a building.

• Living expenses if damage renders a home unlivable.

• Cost of temporary repair to prevent further damage.

Typically not covered

• Removal of fallen trees that have not damaged buildings.

What to do if your home is damaged

• Document, photograph damage.

• Make temporary repairs to prevent further damage from wind or rain. Save receipts for reimbursement.

• Contact insurance agent immediately.

• Use only licensed contractor. Obtain building permits.

What not to do

• Avoid contractors who has for large deposits up front or remarkably low bids

• Don’t pay significant amounts for temporary repairs without contacting insurance agent.

• Don’t throw away damaged property before it has been examined by an insurance adjuster.

• For more information, visit or call (800) 664-4942.

There is one comment on this story »



Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile