Two older residents smelled smoke Tuesday morning in their single-wide mobile home at the Flamingo Trailer Court in Spokane Valley and fled for safety before fire destroyed the building.
About 20 firefighters from Spokane Valley Fire Department went to the 5:49 a.m. fire at 17611 E. Appleway Blvd. They extinguished the fire in just over an hour, said Fire Marshal Kevin Miller.
The residents said they were having breakfast when the lights went out and they smelled smoke coming from the furnace.
The home did not have a working smoke detector, Miller said.The Spokane chapter of the American Red Cross was at the scene to provide emergency food and clothing for the displaced occupants.