November 3, 2010 in City

Dangerous fire in Spokane apartment garage stopped

By The Spokesman-Review
 

It took 28 firefighters and extra work to lay a hose line by hand before Spokane firefighters could stop a dangerous fire that started in an apartment garage and nearly spread to adjacent residences late Tuesday.

This comes after flames badly damaged a complex in northeast Spokane causing evacuation of 54 residents on Sunday.

Spokane firefighters said that access Tuesday along the garage and between apartment structures slowed their response and nearly resulted in the dwelling units catching fire at the Indian Canyon Apartments, 1302 S. Westcliff Place.

They said the design problem is common in apartment complexes in Spokane.

The fire was reported at 10:12 p.m. and apparently began in a car that had just pulled into the five-stall garage in southwest Spokane.

Flames and radiant heat started to melt and burn the adjacent apartment building about 15 feet away before a water supply from a hydrant could reach the main pumping fire engine.

Extra companies were dispatched to assist, said Battalion Chief Craig Cornelius in a news release.

“Heavy fire development, building proximity and access issues required a difficult water supply ‘hand lay’ to Engine 4,” he said. “Concern for a rapidly spreading fire and an inadequate water supply prompted a request for additional resources (firefighters).”

Cornelius said that “narrow access driveways and parked vehicles made it difficult for responding fire apparatus to maneuver inside the complex. This is a recurring challenge that the Fire Department has to deal with when responding to fires in many of the apartments within the city.”

No firefighters were hurt. The fire was under investigation today. Damage to the garage and vehicles was estimated at $120,000.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email