Prep roundup: GNL sidesteps tiebreakers
The Great Northern League avoided potential three- and four-team football tiebreakers Thursday when East Valley and West Valley won to end the regular season.
Krys Smith ran for touchdowns of 31 and 18 yards to lead WV (3-6, 2-3) to a 21-7 win at Cheney (3-5, 2-3).
Adam Talley rushed for 214 yards and threw a fourth-quarter TD pass to seal EV’s 28-20 win over visiting Pullman. Talley, who was also 4 for 4 on point-after kicks, connected with Ronnie Jarvis on a 19-yard TD with EV (4-5, 3-2) protecting a 21-20 lead. Tyler Langerveld completed 20 of 30 passes for 353 yards and two TDs for the Greyhounds (4-6, 2-3).
Idle Clarkston (6-3, 3-2) earned the league’s No. 1 seed to the state tournament. Deer Park (8-2, 3-2) is No. 2 and will host Othello in a play-in game at 7 p.m. Tuesday. EV is No. 3 and travels to Ellensurg for a winner-to-state game, also at 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Nonleague: Jeff Livingston’s 4-yard TD run in the fourth quarter gave Lewis and Clark (4-6) a 24-17 win at Moses Lake. Livingston also completed 14 of 20 passes for 238 yards and a TD and ran for the Tigers’ other score. LC’s Trent Robinson rushed for 112 yards. … Andy Wetzel threw three TD passes, two to P.J. Hahn, as Mead (5-5) scored 21 second-quarter points and held off visiting Davis 24-19. … Colton Mead completed 15 of 22 passes for 264 yards and four TDs and Deer Park notched a 41-21 win over visiting Medical Lake (2-7). DP’s Zack Mohr totaled 10 receptions for 185 yards and three TDs.
• Southeast 1B: J.B. Lang rushed for 253 yards and three TDs on 41 carries to lift Garfield-Palouse (5-4, 4-2) to a 38-32 win at Colton (4-6, 3-3). … Dory Knebel and Austin Reisdorph combined for 380 yards and seven TDs on 41 carries as Pomeroy (4-6, 3-3) posted a 60-50 win over host St. John-Endicott. Kyle Raynor completed 14 of 23 passes for 254 yards and three touchdowns for the Eagles (7-2, 5-1).
• District 7 2B: The top four seeds won to advance to Saturday’s semifinals at Reardan. … Amilee Bruya’s 17 assists and six aces helped No. 1 Colfax to a 3-0 win over Springdale at Colfax. … Sarah Batterton had nine kills and four blocks to guide No. 2 Northwest Christian’s 3-0 win over Liberty at NWC. … Liz Flowers had nine kills and Kelsey Moos added eight blocks and six aces as No. 3 Reardan swept visiting Kettle Falls. … Miranda Mielke finished with 14 kills and four aces in No. 4 Davenport’s 3-1 win over visiting Lind-Ritzville/Sprague. … In Saturday’s winner-to-state semifinals at noon, Reardan will play NWC and Davenport will meet Colfax. In 10 a.m. loser-out matches, KF will meet Liberty and L-R/S will play Springdale. … Liberty began the day with a 3-1 win that eliminated Republic. Danielle Crosby had eight kills and eight digs for Liberty. Springdale began the day by eliminating St. George’s.
• District 7 1B: Almira/Coulee-Hartline and Wilbur-Creston qualified for state during play at Wilbur and Cusick. … Nikki Osborne had eight kills, four digs and three blocks as ACH topped host Cusick 3-0. … Allison Reed had 32 kills and Kelsey Beaver 24 digs as W-C held off Northport 3-2. ACH and W-C will play for state seeding at 3 p.m. Saturday at NWC. … ACH began the day with a sweep over Wellpinit. Osborne had 12 kills and five blocks for ACH. … Shynne Wilson had 15 kills and five digs as Northport began with a sweep over Odessa-Harrington. … Christina Johnson’s 14 assists and nine digs helped O-H’s sweep that eliminated Columbia. … In loser-out matches Saturday at NWC, Wellpinit will play Northport at 11 a.m. and O-H will meet Cusick at 1 p.m.
• District 7 1A: Katie Baran and Ashley Cook-Cox scored as Lakeside (12-4-1) defeated Newport 2-1 in the title match at Gonzaga Prep. Lakeside will host Caribou Trail League No. 3 Okanogan at 2 p.m. Saturday in regional play. Newport (14-3-1) will travel to CTL No. 2 Cascade (Leavenworth), also at 2 p.m. Saturday.
Also at G-Prep, Colville (9-7) earned the third regional berth with a 2-0 win that ousted Freeman (7-7). Colville will travel to CTL No. 1 Cashmere at 2 p.m. Saturday.
• Regional 2B/1B: Jacob Weaver scored three times during a 15-minute span of the first half and Daniel Amado recorded the shutout as Northwest Christian (9-5-1) qualified for state with a 4-0 home win that eliminated Northport. NWC will play Waitsburg-Prescott at 5 p.m. today at Gonzaga Prep for state seeding. … W-P eliminated St. George’s 3-2 by scoring two late goals at Prescott. Karl Muelheims and Camus Chappman scored for the Dragons, who finished 9-6-1.