With more room inside, more parking outside and a central location, the Idaho Department of Labor this past week opened its new facility at 600 N. Thornton Ave., north of Interstate 90 and west of Highway 41 in Post Falls.
The staff of 48 employees will celebrate its open house with the public at 1 p.m. Tuesday with tours, refreshments and a welcome from Roger Madsen, Idaho labor director. The $3 million, 17,600-square-foot facility includes large conference rooms, offices and open areas offering information for job-seekers. The Post Falls location is more central for Kootenai County than the previous office on Ironwood Drive in Coeur d’Alene.
The agency serves between 300 and 600 people per day. Office hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to noon Fridays. Phone (208) 457-8789.
Pet resort, training center opens Nov. 15
Offering all types of training, day care and overnight boarding for animals, the Northwest Pet Resort and Certified K-9 Training Center will celebrate its grand opening Nov. 15, at 1717 Northwest Blvd., Coeur d’Alene. The 10,000-square-foot building most recently was a gymnastics center and was the original CdA home of UPS.
Co-owners Scott Ansel and his father Ralph Ansel also will train dogs for military and police narcotics and explosives detection. Ralph was the canine sheriff for Riverside, Calif., and was a trainer at Adlerhorst Canine Military-Police Training School. He joined family in North Idaho this past March. Scott joined family here in 1992. John Kelpin is also a co-owner of the business. The Ansels plan to donate the services of narcotic and explosive-detection dogs for area needs. They also plan to help find homes for dogs in animal shelters.
Office and training hours will be 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. weekdays and by appointment. Phone (208) 640-4873.
Critical Care Dental opens in Dalton
Urgent and emergency dental care without appointments is offered at Critical Care Dental Clinic at 6176 Government Way in Dalton Gardens. Dentists Susan Armstrong and Scott Joslin treat patients for toothaches, tooth abscesses, broken teeth and oral inflammation and swelling.
Patients are seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Phone (208) 591-3813.
This week’s tidbits
• With the new location allowing participation in the Post Falls Art Walk, Art Conscious Framing has moved to 316 S. Spokane St. in Post Falls. The store offers the framing of photos, posters, paintings and other items. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
• Hmmm. While snooping a new Hayden business, your scribe saw a Wal-Mart truck backed up to the loading dock at Kohl’s.
• What’s happened to the Pazzo’s Italian Deli that was advertised to open in September north of the Long Ear on Fourth Street. The place was completely renovated, but now has a “for lease” sign.
• If you’re using a discount coupon in a restaurant, please tip your server as if the price didn’t have a discount. They’re working just as hard.
• The last three years I’ve been at journalism conventions in Kansas City, Austin and Louisville during Halloween. These places closed off the main street for kiddies in the later afternoon and adults in the evening through late night. Sherman Avenue in downtown CdA is so busy during these times that it may be a good idea here.
House Democrats are pushing a bill that would allow college students who drop out with only a semester or less to go before getting a degree to come back and ...
Back with my day-after Pepperdine post. The Zags held off the Waves 69-66 to remain a half-game up (tied in the loss column) with Saint Mary’s atop the WCC standings. ...
"Well, I certainly hope you'll die soon." Can you name the film? OK, what's your favorite line from a movie?
On Sunday, Mrs. O & I will host our first Super Bowl party in quite awhile. Usually, we're the invitee rather than the invited. Two of the guests are recent ...