November 7, 2010 in Nation/World

Passenger’s disguise unmasks security flaw

Rob Gillies Associated Press
 
Associated Press photo

This combination of photos released by the Canadian Border Services Agency shows a young man and the disguise he wore on board the flight bound for Canada.
(Full-size photo)

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia – U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Saturday that the case of a young Chinese man who boarded a flight to Canada elaborately disguised as an elderly white male raises concerns about a security breach that terrorists might exploit.

Authorities have not suggested any terrorist link to the case of the man who boarded the Air Canada flight in Hong Kong on Oct. 29 wearing a remarkably detailed silicone mask to make him look like an elderly man. An internal intelligence alert from the Canadian Border Services Agency says the man removed the mask in a washroom midflight.

Air Canada confirmed a passenger had altered his appearance and had been met by border officials in Vancouver, B.C. The man is seeking refugee status in Canada in what officials call an “unbelievable case of concealment.”

© Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


There is one comment on this story. Click here to view comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email