Local news

Officials: Hot ashes likely sparked Valley house fire

Wood stove ashes left next to a wood pile apparently triggered a fire that damaged a home in Spokane Valley on Monday, Spokane Valley fire officials say.

The home was unoccupied when the fire broke out around noon at 4301 N. Harvard Road. Flames spread from the wood pile into the eaves, attic and roof, according to a news release from the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

Three fire engines and 20 firefighters responded to the scene. Harvard Road was closed during the fire. No injuries were reported.

Fire officials said a resident at the home had recently cleaned ashes from a wood stove and placed them next to a wood pile, and that apparently set off the blaze.

“With the heating season upon us, the community is reminded to use only a metal container for the storage of ashes cleaned from wood burning appliances. Even if they appear cool, ashes should be placed away from any combustibles,” said Fire Marshal Kevin Miller in the release.



Click here to comment on this story »



Saving for the future

sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.



Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile