November 13, 2010 in City

Streets reopened in area of fatal shooting

Marijuana found at gunman’s home, site of initial shooting
Staff reports
Christopher Anderson photo

Spokane police cordon off a house at 1402 W. Buckeye on Friday afternoon, Nov. 12, 2010, after a shooting that involved multiple scenes and left a man dead. Neighbors reported a man standing at the wood fence using a shotgun to blast the back door of the house.
(Full-size photo)

Investigators have wrapped up their search of the scene of Friday’s fatal police shooting, and reopened in the neighborhood about noon today.

The shooter, who was killed after firing shots at a north Spokane home and then at police officers who pursued him, will not be publicly identified until after the Spokane County Medical Examiner conducts an autopsy on Monday, the ME’s office said today.

The incident began at 1402 W. Buckeye Ave shortly after 3 p.m on Friday when a man fired shots at his father. He left the home at that time, just as police were arriving. Police followed the man as he drove a pickup west. He abandoned the vehicle on Monroe Street and fled on foot, with officers in pursuit, according to a police news release. Witnesses said the man fired several shots toward the officers, and refused commands to drop his weapon. Six Spokane Police officers fired at the suspect, and he was fatally shot, dying near the intersection of Indiana Avenue and Madison Street.

During the investigation into the Buckeye Avenue home, police uncovered a marijuana growing operation. They also found a grow operation at the gunman’s home on East 14th Avenue late Friday evening, according to the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office. Spokane Police drug investigators processed the drug operations, leaving major crimes detectives from the sheriff’s office to head up the shooting investigation.

The crime scene extended for several blocks, and forced the closures of Monroe and Madison from Augusta to Northwest Boulevard, and Indiana and Northwest from Monroe to Madison. The sheriff’s helicopter, Air One, surveyed the scene from the air until deteriorating weather conditions grounded the craft, according to a news release.

Because the shooting involved officers from the Spokane Police Department, the sheriff’s office and the Washington State Patrol are investigating the incident.

Police ask that anyone who witnessed the shootings and who hasn’t yet been interviewed by detectives to call Crime Check at 456-2233 and leave their contact information.

There are nine comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email