Thanksgiving is just a week away, and area churches are planning special services and dinners for those in need.
• St. Aloysius Parish, Gonzaga University and Sodexho Dining Services will present the eighth annual Community Thanksgiving Dinner next Thursday from noon to 2 p.m. in Cataldo Hall, 502 E. Boone Ave.
Volunteers are needed for this annual event.
For more information, call (509) 313-7001.
• The First Church of Christ, Scientist, 310 E. 14th Ave., will present its annual Thanksgiving Day Service next Thursday at 10 a.m.
The church has been offering this service for more than 100 years.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 624-1637.
• St. David’s Episcopal Church, 7315 N. Wall St., will offer a Thanksgiving eve service Wednesday at 7 p.m.
The theme for the service will be “Celtic Praise and Thanksgiving” and will include Celtic music and communion and a party featuring bluegrass music by String Creek.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 466-3100 or visit www.stdavidspokane.org.
• The New Hope Christian Reformed Church, 3110 W. Francis Ave., will offer a Thanksgiving Day worship service next Thursday at 10 a.m.
The church also offers a Ladies Coffee Break Bible Study Group Tuesday mornings at 9:30 a.m.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 325-4882.
Shadle Park Presbyterian Church, 5508 N. Alberta St., will present Ramazan Arkan, pastor of the Antalya Evangelical Church in Antalya, Turkey, for worship services Sunday at 9 and 10:45 a.m.
Arkan will present his sermon, “Rejoice with Those Who Rejoice, Mourn With Those Who Mourn,” addressing the topic of the persecuted church.
The pastor grew up as a Muslim, became a communist and atheist, then became a Christian. He studied in an underground Bible school and has been pastor of his church for nine years.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 327-5522.
• The Spokane Buddhist Dharma Group will present the Spokane Buddhist Meditation Retreat on Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Spokane, 4340 W. Fort George Wright Drive.
The theme of the event will be “Meeting the Buddha” and will be led by Venerable Semkye and Venerable Jigme, monastics from the Sravasti Abbey.
The event is open to all faiths, and anyone attending should bring a brown-bag lunch.
For more information, call Nancy Boroughs at (509) 688-5534.
• The Spokane Buddhist Temple, 927 S. Perry St., will present the Honorable Thubten Chodron from the Sravasti Abbey in Newport, Wash., during its Sunday service at 10:30 a.m.
For more information, call the temple office at (509) 534-7954.
• Zion Lutheran Church , 218 E. Crawford St., Deer Park, will present a craft sale, bazaar and bake sale on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Proceeds from the sale will go toward summer youth camp fees.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 276-2954.
• Country Homes Christian Church, 8415 N. Wall St., will have a craft show and flea market on Nov. 27 to benefit Kayleigh Elliot, a local figure skater with the Lilac City Figure Skating Club.
The event will also include a silent auction and bake sale and will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Elliot will compete at the Junior National Figure Skating Competition in Salt Lake City in December. Proceeds from the craft show will help with her expenses.
For more information, call Dick Baker at (509) 230-2149.
• Lidgerwood Presbyterian Church, 4449 N. Nevada St., will present the movie, “Iron Will,” Friday at 7 p.m.
The movie is rated PG and tells the story of a young man who wants to win a dog-sledding race to pay the family mortgage.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 487-9667.
• Knox Presbyterian Church, 806 W. Knox Ave., will present the movie, “Toy Story 3,” Friday at 6 p.m.
There will also be a free spaghetti dinner.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 328-7540.
Christian Singles Fellowship will present its November meeting Saturday at 7 p.m. in the fellowship hall of North Addison Baptist Church, 6120 N. Addison St.
The topic of this meeting will be “Sailing Without Wind,” presented by Craig Holmes.
For more information, call (509) 893-2865 or visit www.csfspokane.com.
Click here to comment on this story »