CCS beaten, but alive for title
Devan Belseh and Kyra Speer combined for 38 kills as Mt. Hood CC (36-7) dampened Community Colleges of Spokane’s (32-10) NWAACC volleyball title aspirations, beating the Sasquatch 3-1 in the quarterfinals Friday in Gresham, Ore.
Kealey Johnston had eight kills and a match-high 30 digs for CCS, which still is alive for the title.
The Sasquatch will play the winner of today’s 10 a.m. match between Highline (22-20) and Linn-Benton (27-15) at 11:45, needing three more wins to reach the title match.
• Tiffany Owens had 17 kills and 12 digs and No. 22 Arizona (19-9, 8-7) cruised to a 3-1 victory over Washington State (6-19, 0-15) in Pac-10 play in Tucson, Ariz.
• Kindra Carlson combined for 11 kills in the second and third sets to lead No. 11 Washington (19-7, 8-7) to a sweep of Arizona State (11-16, 5-9) in Tempe, Ariz.
• Tina Strahinic finished with 20 kills and 20 digs and Kaylee Ponce added 13 kills as North Idaho was pushed to five sets but held on to win the fifth set 15-12 to beat Eastern Arizona (31-6) 3-2 to advance to the fifth-place match at the NJCAA Division I Championships in West Plains, Mo. The Cardinals (28-7) will play top-seeded Miami-Dade (35-1) today at 12:30 p.m.
• After falling in its season finale on Thursday night in Hawaii, Idaho will advance to the WAC tournament as the No. 5 seed. The Vandals (13-14) will open play in Las Vegas playing No. 4 seed Boise State (21-11) at 7:30 p.m. Monday.
Danielle Mofsowitz had 18 points and UC Santa Cruz (1-1) edged Whitworth 69-68 at the Quality Inn Oakwood Whit Classic in Spokane. Kayla Johnson of Colfax led the Pirates (0-1) with 19 points and 12 rebounds in her college debut.
Whitworth will play Northwest today at 4 p.m. on the final day of the tournament. UCSC plays Whitman at 2 p.m.
• Kama Griffitts had 19 points and five rebounds and Tugce Canitez added 18 points and eight boards as North Idaho pushed its record to 7-0 with a 68-56 victory over Casper (3-1) at the Casper tournament in Casper, Wyo.
Justin Korthuis at the 184-pound weight class opened his day with a 7-6 decision before recording back-to-back pins, finishing the day undefeated and leading North Idaho to three dual wins at the Cardinal Duals in Coeur d’Alene.
The Cardinals handled Yakima Valley CC and Clackamas CC with scores of 28-15 and 41-12 before taking care of Cerritos College (Calif.) 28-17 in their final dual.
Against Cerritos, NIC trailed 13-12 before rallying for three straight wins to give it a 28-13 lead with one match remaining.
Jesse Nielsen (174 pounds) and Korthuis recorded back-to-back falls and Jamelle Jones added a major decision to give the Cardinals their final points.
Stefan Jensen scored a hat trick and Matthew Geurts added two goals as the Osoyoos Coyotes (20-1-1), leaders of the Okanagan Division, scored first and led the entire game in a 5-2 KIJHL victory over the Spokane Braves at Eagles Ice-A-Rena.
Thomas McNevin and Mitch Fowler scored goals for Spokane (14-14 in the Murdoch Division).