Free dinners planned throughout the region
The free Thanksgiving dinner at the Union Gospel Mission in Spokane has always been a favorite with regulars of the shelter and others who hear about it on the street.
This year, the mission hopes to bring its bounty to a wider audience. So it’s moving the meal to the Spokane Convention Center on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.
The mission will host two seatings, at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. See the details below.
“The 6 p.m. time is for people who are not homeless, but would like to go somewhere nice for dinner and can’t afford it,” explained Dave Wall, the mission’s development director.
“We know the economy has really put people in a hardship situation. We want to do something really nice where parents can take their children and not be in a shelter (environment).”
Community groups and churches throughout the Inland Northwest are opening their doors again this year with free Thanksgiving meals – before and on the holiday itself. Here’s the list.
Spokane and vicinity
• Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church at Tum Tum Community Center, 6424 Highway 291. Dinner served from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. (509) 276-5566.
• VFW Post No. 1435, 212 S. David Road, Spokane Valley. Dinner served from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. (509) 535-9315.
•Salvation Army, 222 E. Indiana Ave. Thanksgiving dinner items (to prepare your own meal) will be distributed from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Please bring: Picture identification for all adults 18 and older, plus proof of children living in the household. Adults also need proof of current address, such as utility or phone bills. (509) 325-6821.
• The City Gate, 170 S. Madison St. Dinner served from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. (509) 455-9670.
• Union Gospel Mission dinner at Spokane Convention Center, 334 W. Spokane Falls Blvd. The dinner served at 2 p.m. is for the usual clients of the mission. At 6 p.m., dinner will be served for low-income families and other community members in need of a Thanksgiving meal. Guests for both seatings must reserve their free tickets in advance by calling (509) 535-8510.
• Hugos on the Hill, 3023 E. 28th Ave. Sponsored by Hugos on the Hill, Hamilton Park Presbyterian Church, Banner Fuel, Harmony’s Gifts and American Diabetes Association. Free transportation to and from provided by Spokane Scenic Tours. Pickup times are: Hope House, 111 W. Third Ave., 10 a.m. and noon; Volunteers of America, 525 W. Second Ave., 10:15 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.; Second Avenue and Jefferson Street, 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.; Mid-City Senior Center, 1222 W. Second Ave., 10:45 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. Dinner served from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (509) 723-5682.
• Mid-City Concerns, 1222 W. Second Ave. Dinner served from 11 a.m. to noon for senior members and then from noon to 2:30 p.m. for the general public. (509) 747-3257.
•Community Thanksgiving Dinner, 330 E. Boone Ave. Sponsored by Gonzaga University, Sodexo Food Service and St. Aloysius Church. Dinner served from noon to 2 p.m., in Cataldo Hall, across the courtyard from the church. (509) 313-7001.
• American Legion Post No. 143, 1138 E. Poleline Ave., Post Falls. 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. (208) 457-9428.
• Lake City Senior Center, 1916 Lakewood Drive, Coeur d’Alene. Hosted by the Coeur d’Alene community in conjunction with Meals on Wheels. Dinner served noon to 2 p.m. Transportation, as well as delivery for the homebound, can be provided for those in need. (208) 687-3193.
• Thanksgiving Day Feast at Hayden Gems Senior Center, 9428 N. Government Way. Hayden, Idaho. 1 p.m. Reservations required. (208) 762-7052.
• ONE Ministries Thanksgiving dinner, 1323 Sherman Ave., Coeur d’Alene. 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (208) 660-4078.
• St. George’s Catholic Church, 2010 N. Lucas, Post Falls. Dinner served 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (208) 773-4715.