November 22, 2010 in City

Tire chains installed on Spokane fire trucks

 

Spokane Fire Chief Bobby Williams said chains were placed on the tires of fire trucks in advance of Monday’s storm.

He warned that people who use portable heaters should make sure they are at least three feet from combustible material. He also said residents should never use gasoline-fired devices inside their home.

On Monday morning, a home at 1923 E. 6th caught fire because of an electrical problem in the attic. Residents were heating the home with the oven.

“It appears it was overloading the electrical system,” Williams said.

People needing to unfreeze pipes should avoid open flames devices. He recommended using a hair dryer.

Williams also said drivers should make sure they have proper clothing and gear in case of a breakdown.


There are four comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email