Book Notes: Edstrom releases recording how-to
The name Brent Edstrom is familiar from his work with the Brent Edstrom Trio and the Spokane Jazz Orchestra.
Now the classical-jazz pianist has a new role: Brent Edstrom, Oxford University Press author and recording expert.
His new book, “Recording on a Budget” (Oxford University Press, $19.95) has just been released in large-format paperback.
The book gives step-by-step advice on how to “make great audio recordings without breaking the bank.” It covers software, microphones, mixing and mastering.
This might be a decent Christmas gift for any aspiring recording artists on your list.
Edstrom also is on the faculty of Whitworth University.
Locally sourced ‘Chicken Soup’
Cindy Hval, whose columns and stories run in The Spokesman-Review’s Voice sections, has an essay in the new “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Christmas Magic” (Chicken Soup for the Soul Publishing, $16.95).
“How I Spent My Christmas Vacation” is a wry and funny look at how Christmas vacation is no vacation at all for most parents. Her piece is one of 101 essays on Christmas themes.
Hval’s work has appeared in a number of titles in the popular “Chicken Soup” series.
Local author Esta Rosevear will read and sign her children’s book “Rebecca and the Comfy-Cozy Feeling” (Blind Faith Publishing) on Saturday, 11 a.m. in the children’s section of Auntie’s Bookstore, 402 W. Main Ave.
Rosevear will do some “fun, improvisational games” for the children after the reading.
Get a book signed
A signed book makes an especially personalized present, and Auntie’s Bookstore has a number of author signings (as opposed to readings) scheduled over the next few weeks. Here are some highlights:
• Cheryl Anne Millsap, Saturday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., signing “Home Planet: A Life in Four Seasons.”
• Jess Walter, Dec. 11, 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., signing “The Financial Lives of the Poets” and other novels.
• Robert H. Ruby, Dec. 11, 1 to 3 p.m., signing “The Spokane Indians: Children of the Sun” and other books.
• Patricia Briggs, Dec. 11, 1 to 3 p.m., signing “Wolfsbane” and other books.
• Aunt Kimmie Bebo, Dec. 12, 1 to 3 p.m., signing her children’s book, “Magic Sprinkles.”
• Candace Dempsey, Dec. 18, 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., signing “Murder in Italy.”
• Patrick F. McManus, Dec. 18, 1 to 3 p.m., signing “The Huckleberry Murders” and other books.
• Buddy Levy, Dec. 18, 1 to 3 p.m., signing “Conquistador: Herman Cortes, King Montezuma and the Last Stand of the Aztecs.”