Top 25 roundup: Arkansas Hogs bounce Tigers
Ryan Mallett threw for 320 yards and three touchdowns as No. 12 Arkansas (10-2, 6-2 SEC) made its case for the school’s first BCS bowl game with a 31-23 win over No. 6 LSU (10-2, 6-2) on Saturday in Little Rock, Ark.
Mallett finished 13 of 23 passing and had touchdown passes of 85, 80 and 39 yards for the Razorbacks, who won their sixth straight game and finished second in the SEC West.
The junior quarterback broke the school record for career touchdown throws, passing Clint Stoerner’s 57. Mallett now has 60 touchdown passes in two seasons at Arkansas.
LSU, which was outgained 464-294 by Arkansas, never led.
(4) TCU 66, New Mexico 17: At Albuquerque, N.M., Andy Dalton threw three touchdown passes before leaving with an elbow injury and the Horned Frogs (12-0, 8-0 Mountain West) capped their second straight undefeated season with a second consecutive conference championship by beating the Lobos (1-11, 1-7).
Fullback Luke Shivers scored twice on short runs and reserve quarterback Casey Pachall passed for one TD and ran for another for TCU.
(5) Wisconsin 70, Northwestern 23: At Madison, Wis., the Badgers (11-1, 7-1 Big Ten) earned a share of the Big Ten championship with their rout of the Wildcats (7-5, 3-5).
Wisconsin will split the conference title with Ohio State and Michigan State after both teams also won.
(11) Michigan State 28, Penn State 22: At State College, Pa., Edwin Baker ran for 118 yards and a touchdown, quarterback Kirk Cousins threw for 152 yards and two touchdowns to B.J. Cunnigham, and the Spartans’ (11-1, 7-1 Big Ten) defense held off a fourth-quarter charge by the penalty-prone Nittany Lions (7-5, 4-4) for a victory.
(13) Virginia Tech 37, Virginia 7: At Blacksburg, Va., Ryan Williams ran for two touchdowns and the Hokies (10-2, 8-0 ACC) won their 10th consecutive game and seventh in a row over the Cavaliers (4-8, 1-7).
Virginia Tech became the first team to finish the regular season unbeaten in ACC play since Florida State in 2000.
(15) Missouri 35, Kansas 7: At Kansas City, Mo., Blaine Gabbert directed scoring drives on the Tigers’ first two possessions and later scored on a 1-yard run, leading Missouri (10-2, 6-2 Big 12) to a victory over the Jayhawks (3-9, 1-7) in the 119th renewal of college football’s second-oldest rivalry.
(18) South Carolina 29, Clemson 7: At Clemson, S.C., Stephen Garcia threw for two touchdowns, Alshon Jeffery had his seventh 100-yard receiving game and the Gamecocks (9-3) posted their third nine-win season with a victory over the Bearcats (6-6).
Jeffery had four catches for 126 yards by halftime, including a 37-yard touchdown throw from Garcia.
Maryland 38, (21) North Carolina State 31: At College Park, Md., Danny O’Brien threw for a career-high 417 yards and four touchdowns, all to Torrey Smith, and the Terrapins (8-4, 5-3 ACC) denied the Wolfpack (8-4, 5-3) a spot in the Atlantic Coast Conference title game.
(22) Florida State 31, Florida 7: At Tallahassee, Fla., Christian Ponder threw for 221 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Seminoles (9-3, 6-2 ACC) to a win over the Gators (7-5, 4-4 SEC) that snapped Florida State’s six-game losing streak in the series.
(23) Utah 17, BYU 16: At Salt Lake City, Brandon Burton blocked a last-second field goal to lift the Utes (10-2, 7-1 Mountain West) to a wild win over the Cougars (6-6, 5-2) in their final game as MWC rivals.
Minnesota 27, (24) Iowa 24: At Minneapolis, Duane Bennett’s touchdown run with 4:31 left lifted the Golden Gophers (3-9, 2-6 Big Ten) to victory over the Hawkeyes (7-5, 4-4), as Iowa lost another fourth-quarter lead and fell to rival Minnesota for the first time in four years. DeLeon Eskridge had 95 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries for Minnesota.
(25) Mississippi State 31, Mississippi 23: At Oxford, Miss., Chris Relf threw for a career-high 288 yards and three touchdowns as the Bulldogs (8-4, 4-4 SEC) beat the Rebels (4-8, 1-7) in the Egg Bowl. Ole Miss nearly rallied from a 31-9 fourth-quarter deficit, scoring two touchdowns to pull within 31-23 with 4:21 remaining.