Prep roundup: Wildcats remain atop GSL race
After falling behind 1-0 to Gonzaga Prep (3-3), Mt. Spokane (6-0) rallied behind Kennedie Clute and Annie Arnzen to sweep the next three sets and beat the Bullpups 3-1 in Greater Spokane League volleyball play Tuesday at Mt. Spokane.
Clute finished the match with 17 kills and a .371 hitting percentage, while Arnzen had 15 kills and four aces to keep the Wildcats unbeaten and atop the league standings with four regular-season matches remaining.
Hoping to keep the Bullpups in the hunt for an upset was Vanessa Kawacki, who finished with 11 kills.
In other GSL matches, Kiley Kamitomo had 14 kills and 23 digs to lead Ferris (4-2) to a 3-1 victory at Shadle Park (3-3). Kendall Vesneske finished with 13 kills and two aces to lead the Highlanders. … Mercedes Montoya led with eight kills and eight digs and Malea Webb added 16 assists as Lewis and Clark (2-4) made quick work of Rogers (0-6), 3-0 at LC. … Kayleigh Valley had 10 kills and three blocks and University (3-3) used a strong defensive effort to sweep North Central (0-6) 3-0 at U-Hi. Sam Hill had seven kills and four blocks to lead the Indians.
• Great Northern: Stephanie Logan tallied 11 kills and Jenny Nakata added 10 digs and three aces as Pullman (5-1) handled Medical Lake (1-5) 25-15, 25-8, 25-10 in Pullman. … Latasha Lofton served 16 straight points in the opening game, including four aces, and West Valley (6-0) swept visiting Deer Park (0-6) 3-0. Aaliyah Ashley-Meek added 23 assists for WV … Jamie Weisner’s 14 kills and 11 digs led Clarkston (3-3) to a 3-1 win against visiting Cheney (2-4). After the Blackhawks evened the match at 1-1, Clarkston rallied to win the final two games 25-23, 25-17.
• IEL: 4A Sandpoint swept 5A Coeur d’Alene 25-23, 25-20, 25-14 in nonleague play in Sandpoint. Leading the Vikings in the loss was Kylie Curtis, who had six kills, seven assists and three aces.
• Intermountain: Marlee Masterson led with 14 kills and two aces and St. Maries (6-0) jumped ahead of Kellogg (3-3) with a 25-9 victory in the opening game, going on to sweep the visiting Wildcats. … Kelly Madsen finished with 11 digs, seven kills and two aces as host Timberlake (3-3) swept Bonners Ferry (1-6) 3-0 in Spirit Lake. Mattea Bertling led the Badgers with seven kills and three aces.
• Great Northern: Alexa Shaw scored the first and last goal of the match and Alyssa Kirsteini added a goal and an assist in the first half as visiting Cheney (4-6, 4-1) shut out Clarkston (0-7, 0-5) 4-0. In the shutout, the Blackhawks held the Bantams without a shot in the match. … Ally Druffel scored two second-half goals and Pullman (7-1-1, 5-1) scored three goals in each half, beating visiting Medical Lake (2-7, 1-5) 6-0. Annalisa Druffel added a goal and an assist for the Greyhounds. … Alison Ruygrok scored a trio of goals, with the final goal in the 46th minute proving to be the winner, as Deer Park (3-4, 2-3) edged host West Valley (3-5-1, 3-3) 4-3. Courtney Hossfeld had a goal and a pair of assists to lead West Valley.
• IEL: Hayley Coture had seven saves for Moscow and Lewiston’s Emily Moscrip nearly matched that total with six as 5A Lewiston (5-1-5) and 4A Moscow (4-7-4) played to a 0-0 tie in Lewiston. … 5A Lake City (5-4-3) scored a pair of unanswered goals to upend 4A Lakeland (2-7-2) 2-1 in Rathdrum.
• IEL: Jasper Gibson scored both goals for 4A Sandpoint (10-5-1), which handed 5A Coeur d’Alene (9-3-2) a 2-0 home loss. Tanner Williams added an assist for the Bulldogs. … Kaiden McGreezy scored a pair of goals and Andrew Bender added two assists as 4A Moscow (6-6-1) scored six goals after halftime to beat 5A Lewiston (2-10) 7-1 in Moscow.