Fall is upon us, but there is still a lot going on up here in the north country. When there is need in our community, friends and neighbors come through for each other. An upcoming event upholds that energy and compassion.
On Oct. 22 is the Kathi Falk Benefit Dinner and Silent Auction at the Riverside High School multipurpose room. The pasta dinner is served from 4 to 6:45 p.m. for any donation amount, and bidding on the first half of the auction items will close at 6:45. As it is Riverside’s homecoming, the other half of the auction will be on display in the shop foyer during the game, and bidding will close 30 minutes after halftime. Proceeds will go to the Falk family to help offset medical bills incurred during her illness.
If you or your business would like to donate a gift basket to the auction, call Debbie Taylor at (509) 238-6678. Monetary donations are welcome and appreciated at Numerica Credit Union, 303 E. Lyons Ave., Spokane, WA 99208, in care of the Kathi Falk Family.
• An hour north in Ione, the Hay Days fall celebration takes place at the Ione City Park on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. There will be a hay bale maze for kids, a chili cook-off, arts and crafts, log splitting, two-man log-sawing contests, historical tours and country line dancing to live music. The Lions Club historical train rides are running that day and Sunday, as well as the next two weekends. For information, call (509) 442-3500 or visit www.npoevents.org.
• Also this weekend, the Pend Oreille Players presentation, “Bell, Book and Candle,” plays Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. at the Pend Oreille Playhouse on Union Street in Newport. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students (www.pendoreilleplayers.org). I saw this show last weekend, and it is really fun.
• Northwoods Performing Arts’ production at the Circle Moon Theater on Highway 211 at Sacheen Lake this month is “New Kid on the Block.” Performances are Friday and Saturday and Oct. 22 and 23. Tickets are $12, or $20 with dinner. Call (208) 448-1294.
• On Saturday Elk’s own Crystal Mules band will rock the Burro Inn on Highway 2 in Diamond Lake from 8:30 p.m. to midnight.
• On Friday and Saturday and Oct. 22-23, the Pend Oreille County Historical Society Museum will hold its Fall Gifts, Crafts and Rummage Sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days. The museum is on Highway 2 on the right as you enter Newport. Call (509) 447-2770.
• Karen Pointer’s YourSales.com eBay store has expanded into Karen’s Gifts and More at 28114 N. Newport Highway next to Peppi’s Pizza in Chattaroy. In addition to being a bonded and insured eBay trading assistant, Pointer also offers a variety of gifts, antiques, collectibles and unusual items. She also sells new and used computers and accessories, printers, cell phones, internet services, satellite TV and home security systems.