October 15, 2010 in Features

‘Deathly Hallows’ delays 3-D version

From Wire Reports

Stung by criticism that it rushed the conversion of “Clash of the Titans” into 3-D earlier this year, Warner Bros. is playing it safe with “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1.”

The studio announced it will not release a planned 3-D version of the movie when it opens Nov. 19, saying it didn’t have enough time to complete the conversion of the seventh Potter film.

“Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality,” Warner said. “We do not want to disappoint fans who have long anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey.”

The studio did say it planned to release the second installment of the final “Harry Potter” film as scheduled, on July 15, 2011, in both 2-D and 3-D formats.

Oscar stays course

The 2012 Oscars will not be weeks earlier than usual, as had been widely speculated – a move that would have upended Hollywood’s crowded awards season.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences says its Board of Governors has determined the date of the 84th Academy Awards “will not be significantly earlier than the now-traditional last Sunday in February.”

But the statement left open the possibility of an earlier Oscar date in subsequent years, saying “the Academy’s staff and Board will continue to evaluate the advantages and challenges associated with such a change.”

Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email