Zettle leads Titans’ win
Jory Zettle rushed for 246 yards and three touchdowns Thursday to power University to a 35-19 win over Rogers in Greater Spokane League football at Albi Stadium.
Conner Johnson completed 6 of 8 passes for 113 yards and one TD for the Titans (3-4), who stand in second place among 3A schools.
The Titans, protecting a 28-13 lead in the third quarter, stopped Rogers four times from the U-Hi 4-yard line.
Luke Rogers had 59 rushing yards and 42 receiving yards for the Pirates (0-7). Therone Tillett added two TD runs, including 56 yards on a quarterback sneak.
• Greater Spokane League: Taylor Butters had 13 kills and Delaney Fisher added 21 digs as Central Valley (6-2) moved into third place alone with a 3-1 win at Shadle Park. Kendall Vesneske had 11 kills and 14 assists for the Highlanders (3-5). … Elsewhere, Kuulei Zalopany finished with 15 kills, 11 digs and three aces to power Mead (7-1) to a 3-0 win over visiting Ferris (5-3). … Kenzie Reid’s 43 assists and 12 digs guided first-place Mt. Spokane (7-0) to a 3-1 win over visiting Lewis and Clark (3-5). … Christina Santolasola had 20 digs and four aces and Vanessa Kawacki added 12 kills to guide Gonzaga Prep (4-3) to a 3-1 win at North Central. Sam Hill had 26 kills and 17 digs for the Indians (0-8).
• Inland Empire League: Savannah Blynn had 16 digs, nine kills and five blocks, and Paige Schlader added 27 assists and 10 digs as Lewiston (4-2) recorded a 3-0 win over visiting Lake City (2-4) in 5A play. … Sam Baratto totaled 11 kills, four aces and four blocks as Sandpoint (4-0) wrapped up the 4A title with a 3-0 win over visiting Lakeland (1-3). Sandpoint will host next week’s district tournament.
• Great Northern League: Jenny Nakata totaled eight kills, seven aces and 10 digs while leading Pullman (8-1) to a 3-0 win at Cheney (2-6). … Alyssa Dorr’s 21 assists and 14 digs helped host East Valley (6-3) to a 3-0 win over Deer Park (1-8). … Clarkston (4-4) posted a 3-0 win over visiting Medical Lake (1-8).
• Intermountain League: Marlee Masterson had 18 kills and three aces as host St. Maries (8-0) wrapped up the league title with a 3-0 win over Priest River (2-6). Jaylee Sines had 30 assists and Tia Asbury 18 digs for the Lumberjacks. … Elsewhere, Shayna Waechter had a match-high six kills, four aces and two blocks to lead Kellogg (5-3) to a 3-0 win at Bonners Ferry (1-7).
• Idaho 4A Region I: Meghan Pagano scored a pair of second-half goals as Sandpoint (5-6-3) rallied from a 2-0 deficit to earn a state berth with a 3-2 win at Moscow. McKinzi Obeitek added one goal and one assist for the Bulldogs, who were the No. 2 seed. The top-seeded Bears (5-8-4), who had been 1-0-1 against Sandpoint this season, were eliminated.
• Idaho 3A District I-II: Sam Simmons finished with one goal and one assist as Timberlake (6-2-1) qualified for state with a 3-1 win over Kellogg in the championship match at Lakeland High in Rathdrum. Caitlyn Nickels and Sierra Michael also scored for the Tigers, who open state Thursday at Twin Falls. The Wildcats (4-3) can reach state by winning a play-in game Saturday at Lewiston.
• Great Northern League: Madie Moore fed Molly Gough for the winning score at 59 minutes as host Cheney (5-7, 5-3) notched a 2-1 win over Pullman (8-4-1, 6-3). … Elsewhere, Amanda Bliesner had two goals and one assist to guide East Valley (9-4, 8-1) to a 6-0 win over visiting Deer Park (4-7-1, 3-5-1). … Corinna Maestas totaled two goals and two assists while leading Clarkston (1-10-1, 1-6-1) to a 4-0 win over visiting Medical Lake (2-10, 1-9).
• Idaho 3A District I-II: Senior Alex Mendez fed senior Aaron Borne for both goals as Bonners Ferry (15-3) qualified for its sixth consecutive state tournament by defeating St. Maries 2-0 in the championship match at Lakeland High. Borne scored from 6 yards out in the 11th minute, on a header after Mendez’s crossing pass. At 63 minutes, St. Maries goalie Judd Sempel charged out on Mendez’s through ball and Borne scored from 20 yards. The Badgers will carry a 10-match winning streak into state, which begins Thursday in Twin Falls. The Lumberjacks (7-8-3) can also qualify for state by winning a play-in game Saturday at Lewiston.
• Great Northern League: Deer Park’s boys and girls swept a three-way meet at Medical Lake that also included Clarkston. The boys took the top four spots in the 3.1-mile race, led by Dayde Collins (17 minutes, 21 seconds). Alison Gladhart (21:11) led the DP girls’ 1-2 finish.