Local news

Cooking grease may have started apartment fire

A south Spokane apartment sustained $20,000 in damage Thursday caused by what fire officials believe may have been a grease fire.

Spokane Fire Department crews responded to the Regal Ridge apartments, 5111 S. Regal St., about 4:20 p.m. to find a unit filled with black smoke. Firefighters knocked down the blaze quickly. The apartment sustained heavy smoke damage, said Battalion Chief Craig Cornelius. The Red Cross is helping the resident with food assistance while he stays with family, officials said.

The cause is under investigation but initial reports indicate unattended cooking grease may have been involved.



Click here to comment on this story »







Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile