Levko Koper’s goal 3 minutes, 29 seconds into overtime snapped a tie to lift the Spokane Chiefs to a 4-3 victory Saturday over Seattle in the second day of the Silvertips Annual Pre-Season Classic in Everett.
Koper assisted on two goals as the Chiefs overcame a 3-1 deficit early in the third period to earn their first win of the preseason. The Chiefs will square off against Portland at 11:30 a.m. today to continue tournament play.
Becky Perry led three Washington attackers to reach double-digit kills with 11, and the No. 9 Huskies (5-0) swept Gonzaga (2-5) at the Northwest Challenge in Boise.
The Bulldogs lost twice on the final day of the tournament, falling in five games to Portland State after dropping the decisive fifth game 15-13. The Huskies swept their matches, beating Boise State 25-20, 25-21, 25-12 in their other match.
• Meagan Ganzer led with a career-high 30 kills and a .308 hitting percentage as Washington State salvaged a split by beating San Francisco (0-6) 25-23, 25-20, 22-25, 25-22 at the USF Asics Challenge in San Francisco.
UC Santa Barbara (3-2) handed Washington State (3-3) a 3-1 loss to start the second day. The Cougars finished the weekend 2-2.
• Ashleigh McCord tallied 12 kills and three blocks as Rice handed Eastern Washington (1-5) its second loss of the day, 25-20, 25-14, 25-22 at the Pepperdine Asics tournament in Malibu, Calif.
Host Pepperdine (3-2) swept the Eagles to start the day. The Waves recorded seven blocks and 39 digs in three games against EWU.
• Ka’ipo Rocha finished with 12 kills and Kaimi Rocha added 10 as Whitworth swept host and 12th-ranked Trinity 25-20, 25-21, 25-20 at the River City Classic in San Antonio.
The Pirates fell 25-20, 26-24, 25-17 in the first match against Hardin-Simmons.
• Tina Strahinic tallied 43 kills over two matches as North Idaho split on the second day of the Salt Lake Invitational in Salt Lake City.
The Cardinals swept Western Arizona 25-14, 25-20, 25-20 before falling 25-20, 28-26, 26-24 to Northeastern Junior College to finish the tournament 2-2.
• Karis Gamache had 11 kills and Kelsey Kurtz added 21 digs and Community Colleges of Spokane (5-1) won the second and third games to take its match against Tacoma at the Highline tournament in Des Moines, Wash. The host Thunderbirds beat CCS 20-25, 25-16, 16-14 in another match.
Markus Geiger and Julia Veseth led Idaho teams to a sweep of the men’s and women’s titles at the Idaho Cup at the Virgil Phillips Farm County Park in Moscow.
Geiger earned medalist honors for his time of 24:52.81 in the 8,000-meter race, edging teammate Barry Britt, who finished in 25:03.97.
Veseth took second in the women’s race 18:09.12, losing to Lewis-Clark State’s Kelsey Klettke (17:48.41) in the 5,000-meter run.
• Tonya Turner won the women’s race at the Whitman Invitational for the second straight year and led Whitworth to a win with 21 points at Fort Walla Walla Park.
The Pirates’ Trevor Berrian won the men’s race in 20:03.31 to outlast teammate Kalen Darling (20:09.56). With two top-two finishes, the Pirates took first with 19 points, beating host Whitman (53).
Demi Wignot scored two of North Idaho’s three second-half goals as the host Cardinals (2-1) outlasted Chemeketa 4-3 at the Cardinal Classic.
Andre Zarate scored the first three goals for Bonners Ferry (3-2, 2-0) and the Badgers cruised to a 5-0 victory against visiting Orofino (0-1-1, 0-1-1) in Intermountain League.
A brave girl jumps from the rocks on the west side of Tubbs Hill as her two friends watch. (Don Sausser/Facebook photo)
Sweeping initiative to strengthen Idaho’s Sunshine Law appears to be falling short in bid to make Nov. ballot
It looks like a sweeping campaign finance reform initiative may fall short of the number of verified signatures needed to make the November ballot – even though backers collected roughly ...
1) Quarterback Ken Stabler briefly played pro football here vs. 8) Canadian hockey commentator Don Cherry played for the Spokane Comets. 2) Actress Hilary Swank lived here briefly as a ...
A Washington state appeals court has ruled cities must provide safe roadways for all traffic, including bicycles. According to the Associated Press, the three-judge panel found that cycling is a ...