Sumner tour benefits heritage gardens
Community patches also to be shown off on Saturday
A pair of garden tours – one to raise money for the Moore-Turner Heritage Gardens and the other to show off community food gardens – will keep garden folks busy on Saturday.
The heritage gardens fundraiser will feature walks through four historic mansions and gardens on exclusive West Sumner Avenue, plus a look at the brightly colored but secluded garden of Myrtle Woldson at 526 W. Sumner Ave.
The tour is from noon to 4 p.m. Tickets are $20 and will be available at 404 and 503 W. Sumner, two of the tour homes.
Other tour homes are at 319 and 506 W. Sumner.
Proceeds will go to maintenance of the gardens. The sponsor is the Friends of the Moore-Turner Heritage Gardens.
Woldson is the businesswoman who donated money for construction of the heritage gardens as well as restoration of the Fox Theater in Spokane.
The park that holds the heritage gardens was recently renamed Edwidge L. Woldson Park in honor of Woldson’s mother, while the Martin Woldson Theater at the Fox was renamed in honor of her father.
Also on Saturday, Washington State University Extension service and the Spokane Regional Health District are hosting the third annual Community Garden Tour – a free event in which tourgoers can see how gardeners are raising their own food crops and flowers in 11 different locations.
The tour is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The gardens are located at:
• Northeast Community Center Garden, East Liberty Avenue and North Lacey Street
• All Saints Lutheran Church, 314 S. Spruce St.
• Corner of North Hemlock Street and West Fairview Avenue
• East Central Community Garden, at South Ray Street and East Hartson Avenue
• Pumphouse Community Garden, East Hoffman Avenue and North Crestline Street
• Commons Community Garden, East Lamonte Street and 33rd Avenue.
• Avista Community Garden, 1631 E. North Crescent Ave.
• One World Café, East First Avenue and South Pittsburg Street
• East Valley School Farm and Community Garden, East Wellesley Avenue and North Sullivan Street
• Pumpkin Patch, East Maringo Drive and North Argonne Road
• Riverfront Farms, 2605 W. Boone Ave.
A tour map is available at srhd.org/gardentour.