Area roundup: Quick-strike Saxons go 4-0
Jordan Tonani raced 26 yards into the end zone with a first-quarter interception to ignite Ferris and the Saxons cruised to a 43-0 Greater Spokane League football win over Rogers on Thursday night at Albi Stadium.
Tonani added a 12-yard touchdown run late in the first quarter for a 36-0 lead. Ben Goodwin’s 42-yard scoring pass to Beau Bozett 70 seconds into the second quarter capped the scoring as the Saxons (4-0) substituted heavily the rest of the way.
Goodwin hit 3 of 4 passes for 83 yards and two scores and Kole Heidinger gained 46 yards on three carries to lead 11 Saxons who carried the ball. Heidinger scored on a 27-yard run.
Luke Rogers had 22 carries for 41 yards and caught two passes for 16 yards for the Pirates (0-4).
• Great Northern: Pullman’s passing and digging, and Jenny Nakata’s all-around play that included seven kills and seven digs, helped the Greyhounds (4-0) remain unbeaten in league play with a 25-14, 25-10, 25-15 win at Clarkston (1-2). Jamie Weisner led the Bantams with 11 digs, four kills and one block. … Shaniqua Nilles had 13 kills and three blocks as West Valley (3-0) also remained unbeaten with a 25-20, 25-19, 25-20 win at East Valley. … Sayde Davis had 20 assists directing Cheney (1-2) to a 25-16, 25-5, 25-16 win over visiting rival Medical Lake (1-3).
• Inland Empire: Brianna Friebe had 20 digs and four aces as Post Falls (4-0) rallied from a first-game loss for a 14-25, 25-15, 25-20, 25-21 win at Lewiston (1-2). … Kylie Curtis had eight kills and four aces as Coeur d’Alene (1-4) beat visiting Moscow (1-2) 25-19, 25-18, 25-7.
• Intermountain: Molly Masterson had a solid all-around match – 11 kills, 10 digs, three aces and a block – and Mariah Gladden had a match-high 12 kills to lead St. Maries (4-0) past visiting Timberlake (1-2) 25-15, 25-11, 25-15. … Taylor Sameulson had 16 assists to direct Kellogg (3-1) to a come-from-behind 17-25, 25-17, 25-12, 25-14 win over visiting Bonners Ferry (1-3).
• Great Northern: Cousins Annalisa Druffel (two goals) and Allie Druffel (one) accounted for half the scoring for Pullman as the Greyhounds (5-1-1, 3-1 GNL) retained a share of first place with a 6-1 win at Clarkston (0-4, 0-3). … Freshman Hannah Bowerman and junior Amanda Bliesner scored and assisted on the other’s goal as East Valley (4-4, 3-1) remained tied for the lead with a 2-0 win over visiting West Valley (2-2-1, 2-1). … Micah Youmans scored two first-half goals 7 minutes apart and the Blackhawks (2-5, 2-1) didn’t allow visiting Medical Lake (2-4, 1-3) a shot on goal in recording their second league shutout, a 6-0 victory.
• Intermountain: Taylor Huber’s goal at 16 minutes was all Kellogg (2-2, 2-2) needed in a 3-0 win at St. Maries (0-6-1, 0-4-1 IML). The Lumberjacks continued to show improvement with five shots on goal, but couldn’t put one in the net.
• Inland Empire: Timmy Mueller scored at 22 minutes and Monty Boyd stopped five shots as Post Falls (8-1-1, 2-1) dealt visiting Coeur d’Alene (7-2-1, 3-1) its first league loss, 1-0, in a matchup of 5A rivals. … Sebastian Mortimer had two goals and an assist to lead Moscow (5-5, 1-2) to a 5-0 win over visiting Lakeland (1-10, 0-2). … Chris Wheelock’s goal at 50 minutes capped Lake City’s rally as the Timberwolves (6-2-1 overall) edged visiting Sandpoint (8-4-1) 2-1 in a match in which all the scoring came in a 5-minute span.
KIJHL: Rance Hughes scored a hat trick and six other Braves got in on the scoring as Spokane (3-3-0-0) skated to a 9-0 win at Grand Forks, B.C. Garrett Barr stopped 25 shots in earning the shutout. The Border Bruins are 1-5-0-0.