Prep roundup: Shadle’s Weitz leads pack at Nike
Shadle Park junior Nathan Weitz provided the surprise of the Nike Pre-Nationals out of the Division 2 varsity boys race Saturday, recording a meet-best time of 15 minutes, 17.88 seconds, almost 1 second faster than the top time in the elite race in Portland.
University’s Jon Smith recorded a time of 15:53.28 in the Jim Danner Champs elite varsity run to take ninth place in the field. U-Hi teammate Christian Bucko finished 21st in 16:11.31 and Ferris’ Tim Colliton took 20th in 16:08.68.
• Bob Firman Invite: Katie Knight of North Central outpaced Summer Harper of Orem, Utah, by nearly 9 seconds to take first place among girls in 18:02.78 at Eagle Island State Park in Eagle, Idaho.
Kenji Bierig finished second among boys in 15:38.26 to lead Lewis and Clark to a second-place finish with 106 points behind Davis (65). North Central, led by Vince Hamilton’s 15:42.33, finished third with 112.
• Erik Anderson Invite: Hunter Johnson of Mt. Spokane bested Coeur d’Alene’s David Norris by 15.71 seconds, tallying 16:28.90 to win the boys race at Plantes Ferry Park in Spokane Valley. Mt. Spokane won the boys race with 48 points.
In the girls race, CdA’s Kinsey Gomez took first in 18:38.94, beating the field by almost 2 minutes.
Cheney’s Sanne Holland and Amie Zachman took second and third, respectively, to give the Blackhawks the team title (55 points), besting CdA’s 137 points.
• Wenatchee Invite: Andrew Garner’s first-place time of 14:35 broke the course record by 25 seconds and his Mead Panthers finished one point behind Kamiakin, taking second with 46 points.
In the girls race, Central Valley’s Josie Warner and Rachel Casey finished in ninth and 10th, respectively, and the Bears scored 58 points to finish second behind Kamiakin.
• Connell Invite: Moscow’s Adam Storey’s time of 15:53 was nearly 10 seconds ahead of the pack, giving the senior a victory at Connell High.
• IEL Evan Peichmann tallied a goal and an assist in the opening 4 minutes and Mason Sanchez scored two free-kick goals as Lake City (7-2-1, 2-1) shut out Lewiston (1-7, 0-4) 4-0 in a 5A matchup at Coeur d’Alene. …Cole Jesenouski, Timmy Mueller and Connor Kenna each scored a goal and Post Falls (9-1-1) shut out Sandpoint (8-5-1) 3-0 in PF.
• Intermountain: Alex Mendez scored a goal in the 30th minute and tallied an assist 3 minutes later in the first half as Bonners Ferry (10-3, 4-0) held off visiting St. Maries (2-7-3, 1-1-1) 2-1.
• IEL Lacey Sumpter scored in the 55th minute to lift Lewiston (4-1-3, 2-1-2) to a 1-0 win against visiting Coeur d’Alene (5-5-1, 1-2) in a 5A matchup. … Sarah Blum’s goal in the 76th minute knotted the score at 1, where it would remain throughout as Moscow (4-6-2, 2-0-1) and host Lakeland (2-5-2, 0-2-1) tied in a 4A matchup.
• Intermountain: Sam Simmons scored a pair of goals and host Timberlake (4-2-1, 3-0-1) edged Orofino (1-3, 1-3) 3-2 in Spirit Lake. Simmons’ second goal broke a 2-2 tie in the 78th minute.
• IEL: Savannah Blinn finished with 18 kills and six aces to lead Lewiston to a 3-2 victory against Sandpoint in Sandpoint.
The Bengals dropped the second game 28-26 to fall in a 2-0 hole but rallied to win the final three games to earn the match victory.
• Nonleague: Allen Carmichael and Mark Smyly each had 159 yards rushing and two TDs and Lake City (2-2) outscored Glacier Peak (3-1) 12-0 in the third quarter and held on to win 44-37 in Snohomish, Wash. Smyly added 124 yards passing and a TD on 7-of-15 passing. … Dakota Drennan rushed for 106 yards and two touchdowns and Jamie Zerck threw for 124 yards and two TDs on 6-of-7 passing as Curlew (2-1) finished off visiting Republic (0-3) 52-6 in three quarters.