The Spokesman-Review

Melting wax creates sticky situation; fire displaces two

A Spokane woman was melting wax to make candles when the wax caught fire and spread to her kitchen cabinets and throughout her kitchen.

The Spokane Fire Department responded about 2:10 p.m. First crews on the scene saw some smoke coming from the two-story house on the corner of Hartson Avenue and A Street, said Battalion Chief Clive Jones. They were able to keep the fire contained to the kitchen.

No injuries were reported in the fire, but there is smoke damage to both stories of the home, Jones said.

Initially, fire investigators thought the home’s two tenants would be able to return. However, the tenants had to break a window to escape and officials with the American Red Cross decided to put them up for a couple nights for security reasons while the window is repaired.

“We just wanted to make sure they were more comfortable that way,” said Megan Snow, Red Cross director of communications and marketing.



Click here to comment on this story »



Saving for the future

sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile