Leadoff hitter Eric Lane went 3 for 4 and scored two runs and Tyler Olson won his fifth straight start to help guide the 24th-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs (18-9-1, 2-0) to a 3-1 victory over the visiting San Diego Toreros (7-21, 0-2) in West Coast Conference play on Saturday.
Olson (5-1) allowed one unearned run on eight hits in 7 2/3 innings. He struck out six. Cody Martin got the last four outs to notch his sixth save.
Cameron Edman belted a solo home run in the eighth inning for Gonzaga. Royce Bolinger’s sacrifice fly plated Lane in the first and Tyler Chism’s RBI single drove in Lane in the fifth.
• Trevor Bauer (6-1) fired a complete-game six-hitter, striking out 15 along the way, to lead the 16th-ranked UCLA Bruins (16-10, 7-1) to a 10-3 victory over the Washington State Cougars (12-14, 1-7) in Pacific-10 Conference play in Pullman.
The Cougars had a 1-0 lead through four innings on the strength of Tommy Richards’ solo home run in the bottom of the third. Richie Ochoa (3-1) took the loss for WSU.
• The Washington Huskies (9-19, 2-3 Pac-10) scored three runs in the 10th to down the Oregon Ducks (14-14, 0-5) at Eugene, Ore.
• Landon Scott went 3 for 4 with a home run and four RBIs to power the Whitworth Pirates (15-15, 9-6) to a 13-2 victory and a Northwest Conference doubleheader sweep over visiting Pacific Lutheran (12-14, 7-8).
Gerhard Muelheims’ two-out RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning gave the Whits a 7-6 win in the opener. Pirates basketball star Michael Taylor (2-0) earned the win with five innings of relief. He allowed two runs, both unearned, and two hits.
• The visiting Treasure Valley Chukars (22-1, 7-1) rolled to a 12-4, 14-7 doubleheader sweep over the Community Colleges of Spokane Sasquatch (12-12, 2-6) in Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges play at SFCC.
Brenden Herzer had two hits in each game for the Sasquatch.
Julia Johnson and Caty Lieseke each drove in four runs and the Whitworth Pirates (13-13, 11-7) beat the Pacific Boxers (20-12, 10-10) 13-8 to complete a Northwest Conference doubleheader sweep in Forest Grove, Ore.
The Pirates rode starter Emily Anderson (7-5) to a 4-2 win in the first game. Anderson allowed six hits and two runs in a complete-game effort. She struck out three.
• Niki Williams smacked a solo home run with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning and the seventh-ranked Washington Huskies (28-4, 3-2) defeated the 12th-ranked California Golden Bears (24-7, 2-3) 2-1 in Pac-10 play in Seattle.
• The North Idaho Cardinals (25-21, 16-17) and Snow Badgers (14-16, 14-16) split a Scenic West Athletic Conference doubleheader in Coeur d’Alene.
Kristina DeAnda went 2 for 4 with four RBIs and Ashley Moon and Blake Meredith homered to power NIC to a 14-0 five-inning win in the opener.
Allee Carter homered and drove in five runs to power the Badgers to a 9-4 win in the second game.
• The Wenatchee Valley Knights (18-2, 10-2) surrendered just three hits in each game and rolled to a 6-0, 7-0 sweep over the host Community Colleges of Spokane Sasquatch (9-12, 6-6) in NWAACC play at SFCC.
The seventh-ranked Washington Huskies women won all six races and breezed to a victory over the 15th-ranked Washington State Cougars in a dual regatta at Wawawai Landing. It was the Cougars’ only home regatta of the season.
• The Gonzaga Bulldogs men won just one race on the first day of the George Washington Invitational in Washington, D.C.
GU’s Junior Varsity 8+ earned the only win. The Bulldogs clocked in at 6 minutes, 1.8 seconds over 2,000 meters to edge George Washington by 4.1 seconds.
Click here to comment on this story »